Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with rkill.exe download

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 LegacyTech

LegacyTech

• Banned Spammer
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:30 PM

Hi gang, I'm having a problem with the rkill.exe download. When I try to execute it, an error box pops open that says "Some installation files are corrupt. Please download a fresh copy and retry the installation." This happens regardless of which of the variously renamed copies of the executable I try to download and run.

It then says "CRC failed in swreg.exe, Unexpected end of archive."

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,618 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:24 PM

Are you using an antivirus program? If so, which one?

Also try it in safe mode and see if it works then. Could be something interfering.

An update will be out in the next week or two that will eliminate these types of errors.

#3 LegacyTech

LegacyTech
  • Topic Starter

• Banned Spammer
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:00 PM

I've tried it on various systems: The affected system (ie, the one with the malware problem), which is Vista Home Premium 32-bit; then my "known good" machine, which is a Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit machine; and then again on a Windows XP Pro machine. Same exact results, all 3 tries. I haven't tried to run it in safe mode, but I have a hard time envisioning a scenario where something's interfering with the unzip portion of the process on 3 VERY different platforms. Thanks for the quick reply!

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,618 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:19 AM

I just tested it and its working fine.

Are these computers all on the same network? If so, something may be corrupting the download.

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,994 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:50 AM

@ LegacyTech,

Grinler asked you if you were using an AntiVirus and if so, which one. Can you answer that question please? I've seen AV products delete files from within a zipped product.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users