Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't turn off Excel comments

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Buckmode

Buckmode

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:16 PM

In the realm of things, this is a minor problem. My boss just got a new PC to replace one with a dead motherboard, and I have re-loaded all his old programs for him. He is using Excel 2002, and when he opens up his old files from the network, each cell in a particular column (not all) has the little triangle indicating a comment--even though he doesn't use comments. I have tried to turn them off every way that I can think of: Tools, Option, View, No comments; Tools, Track Changes, Highlight Changes, uncheck Track changes while editing; highlight the entire spreadsheet, click on View, turn off Comments; Data, Validation, Input Message, uncheck Show Input Message. The problem is driving him crazy, because he doesn't like it when he's trying to move or edit data, and it's driving me crazy because I can't solve it! Any suggestions? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 19Missy58

19Missy58

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:09 PM

Hi and sorry your boss is having problems...just a question.

Did he by chance have formulas in the cells with the little triangles?

Missy

#3 Buckmode

Buckmode
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:40 PM

I don't know, Missy. I'm out of the office right now, but as soon as find out I'll let you know. Thanks for the help and sorry for the delay.

I don't know, Missy. I'm out of the office right now, but as soon as find out I'll let you know. Thanks for the help and sorry for the delay.

#4 Buckmode

Buckmode
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:49 PM

I asked my boss your question, and this is all I can get out of him--"You'd have to click on the cell to determine that." What that means, I have no idea.

#5 19Missy58

19Missy58

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:06 PM

No problems Buckmode, I only have a little knowledge on this...so it might not be of help.

Usually when you get a little green triangle in the upper left hand corner of your cell, it means there is a error in the formula in that cell.

If you click on the triangle another yellow box opens with a '!' on it, this is the trace error button, which will help you correct the formula errors.

It could be compatibility issues. Older versions of Excel might not have the same functions as the new version, and if thats the case you might need a compatibility pack from Microsoft Office.

#6 Buckmode

Buckmode
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:53 PM

Thanks, Missy, I'll find a download for that and see if it fixes the problem.

#7 19Missy58

19Missy58

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:26 AM

Hi Buckmode,

Just an example:

If a cell is formatted for 'text' and you type a 'number' into that cell, it will give you that little triangle indicating there is an error in that cell.

Take Care, Missy

#8 Buckmode

Buckmode
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:48 PM

Sorry to take so long to reply, Missy. I finally was able to sit down and work on my boss' computer without him standing over my shoulder (most of the time he sits at his desk and I have to work over HIS shoulder!) Anyway, I right clicked on one of the cells with the comment indicator and saw that error checking was turned on. The cell was formatted for text, but he was typing in a number such as 12-12-12 (we are a plant nursery and that is a type of fertilizer) and it was giving an error, thinking he was typing a date. Thanks for your help!

#9 19Missy58

19Missy58

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:43 PM

Hi Buckmode,

No problem, I'm glad I could help you.

Take care
Missy

0 user(s) are reading this topic