Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD Prices Not Predicted to Return to Normal Until 2014

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:04 AM

http://www.dailytech.com/HDD+Prices+Not+Predicted+to+Return+to+Normal+Until+2014/article24900.htm

prices will remain high until 2014 thanks to long-term agreements between computer makers and hard drive makers

The flooding in Thailand led to a 29% reduction in the number of hard drives shipped in Q4 2012. That significant reduction in shipments is expected to end and production will be completely recovered by Q3 of 2012. The company reports that hard drive shipments increased by 18% to 145 million units in Q1 2012 and in Q2 increase by 10% to 159 million units.

Just thought you might find this interesting, since at the same time prices for SSD drives are running at or under $1 US per GB for reasonable size drives. 90Gb to 256Gb

At the same time today I saw a 2Tb External for $99.99 on sale of course, so it could be worse.

Roger

I put this here but maybe news?

Edited by rotor123, 11 June 2012 - 11:10 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:36 PM

Story has been reported in various places all over Web, Google Results .

I find it interesting that shipments are steadily increasing...while prices are not decreasing :).

"One reason pricing won't decline is that a number of original equipment manufacturers in the computer industry signed a long-term agreements with hard drive makers to guarantee drive shipments but locking in prices about 20% higher than were paid before the flooding."

Oh...those poor OEMs (who will pass such increased prices on to their customers).

Life is tough when profits go up :).

As one who remembers the 6GB hard drive and the pricing thereof for my first system...and various ensuing systems...it's hard for me to feel concern that I can buy 2TB of storage now...for approximately the same price I paid for my first 100MB hard drive.

Louis

#3 rotor123

rotor123
  • Topic Starter

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:11 PM

I think I paid $400 for my first hard drive. A Seagate ST-225 http://www.redhill.net.au/d/2.php

The ST-225 was the single most common 20MB drive, and certainly the longest lived.

I do not remember if the controller card came with it or if I bought it separately. Data rate a blazingly fast 5 Mbit/sec :whistle:

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users