Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Brightness keeps being reduced

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PaulGu

PaulGu

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:40 AM

I have a Windows 7 desktop (Acer Veriton). When using it, after a while (10 or 15 minutes perhaps) in which I haven't touched the keyboard, the brightness is suddenly reduced. Hitting any key, but not moving the mouse, brings the brightness back up again. After a while it does it again, and again seemingly at more frequent intervals. Eventually it comes to the point where even when I press a key the brightness stays low. I then have to right click on the desktop, choose Graphics Properties which brings up the Intel Graphics & Media Control Panel and reset the brightness from 0 to say 50%. It is usually OK after that for some time.
There's nothing wrong with the monitor - when using it as an additional monitor with a laptop with Win XP its brightness remains unchanged for hours.
It seems like a Windows power management "feature" but I can't find anywhere that could change it either in the Intel Graphics & Media Control Panel or in Windows. It's most exasperating.
Anybody got any ideas on how to fix this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:02 AM

It's unclear from your post if you've checked Power Settings in Control Panel (not for your video card, for the system).

#3 PaulGu

PaulGu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:07 AM

Hi Allan,
Yes I have - well Power Options anyway. They're set to turn off the display after 10 minutes. There's no option to reduce brightness after a period of time.
Paul

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:55 AM

Just for the heck of it, change that setting to Never turn off the display. Reboot. Do you still see the same issue? If so, please boot to safe mode. Does it happen there too?

And by the way, as long as it only happens when you aren't using the system for a period of time I wouldn't spend a lot of time worrying about it - if anything, it's a plus.

#5 PaulGu

PaulGu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:14 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try that.
2 points though
- It only responds to the keyboard not the mouse so if I'm web-surfing it can lose brightness
- Sooner or later (but after more than 10 minutes), no matter how much I use the keyboard it eventually just kills the brightness and I have to open the Graphics & Media Control Panel to correct it.

Edited by PaulGu, 11 June 2012 - 03:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users