Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security Updates Fail

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ThomasDG

ThomasDG

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:16 AM

I have a computer that is running Windows 7 Ultimate. There are three Security Updates for Windows 7 that need to be installed (KB2644615, KB2667402, and KB2676562). Each time I attempt to install these updates, I receive error message Code 80073712 - Windows update encountered an unknown error. I have attempted to install each of these three updates individually, and receive the same error each time. The Windows help was of no use since it is an unknown error. What suggestions do you have?

Thanks,
Thomas

Edited by ThomasDG, 11 June 2012 - 10:18 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sundavis

sundavis

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,708 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:29 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931712

Hope that helps.

#3 ThomasDG

ThomasDG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:40 PM

Thanks for the link. I have run the scan, and all of the system files are verified. The update still will not run.

#4 sundavis

sundavis

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,708 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:48 AM

Have you ever tried to perform Method 2 as instructed in that thread? If still no joy, you had better refer to Microsoft Support.

MS has some different approaches to deal with update problems or you may try Repair Install if the install media is available.

#5 ThomasDG

ThomasDG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:46 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. The only reason that I have not tried option 2 is because this first update failure started happening in January, and I have not just gotten around to trying to fix it. I do not want to do a system restore back that far. Thanks for the suggestion. I did not realize that dealing with Microsoft support for their own products is not free. I attempted to post in their forum. Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users