Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

a build server?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 liquidmonkey

liquidmonkey

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:58 AM

have started working at a software company and we just began using a 'build server' and i'm trying to learn more about build servers in general but every time i search for 'build server' or 'how to make a build server', results such as 'building your own server' come up.

can anyone point me in the right direction please?

and i'm curious, at the moment, we have one large hard disk which is a normal 7200 rpm 64 mb cache drive and it stores the previous 3 weeks of builds on it.

i was thinking of adding a fast SSD which would keep the last weeks builds while anything older could be kept on a slower normal HDD since these are not accessed as often.

the main reason i'm looking into this is that the coders are complaining saying the build server is too slow and for the moment, we cannot hire a pro (but maybe in a few months).

anyway, any help or bread crumbs are appreciated, thanks!
win7 Ultimate 64bit
2 x 24" LG Monitors
Intel Core i7 920 with Xigmatek HDT-S1283
ASUS P6T WS PRO
12gigs of OCZ Gold XTC Triple Channel 6x2gig DDR3 1333MHz PC10600
XFX Nvidia GTX 260 core 216
Corsair TX750W
Cooler Master 690
HDD Total = F I V E TB!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:41 AM

Sounds like they are using it for compiling tasks on instead of their local machines. They are probably storing their previous compiles on it so that they can reference back to them. Though getting a SSD drive would help with some compiling tasks, you could also benefit from builing a network team with dual gigabit NICs and possibly more RAM. What are the other specs of the server?

Gavin Seabrook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users