Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB stick drivers not loading

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SavageKarma

SavageKarma

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:10 PM

Motherboard: Intel DG31PR
CPU: E2800
Memory: 4Gb

Here goes:
Just put a custom install of Win7 and went to install updated drivers from me xhdd. Xhdd light came on and I could feel it spinning up. Windows said that it was inatalling driver for the device then stopped doing it and gave me the "USB device not recognized" message. I then tried other flash drives - same thing - "USB device not recognized. I tested all devices on other computers and they all work fine. I've updated all mb drivers. I've updated the BIOS. I've re-installed Win7 from a different disk. I've tried using other ports - same thing. All usb ports will operate mouse and keyboard but not the drives. Device manager shows everything ok until I plug in drive - I get the exclamation mark and I've tried updating driver from there - said I had up to date driver. I've tried resetting computer by removing cmos battery (letting in stand for 30mins before putting battery back in) - same story. I'm beginning to think that it's either a BIOS thingy or something wrong with mb - but then, windows still recognises device and tries (and fails) to load drivers for them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thnx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:32 AM

All usb ports will operate mouse and keyboard but not the drives

That looks quite unusual for any USB ports that does not recognizes any usb external devices. Have you tried reinstalling usb controllers/hubs and running sfc /scannow? How about disabling your antivirus temporarily? Maybe you could try running a linux iso cd that would check if flash drive storage is recognized to check on the difference.

Tekken

#3 SavageKarma

SavageKarma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:37 AM

I ran the sfc /scannow - "no integrity violations". I have also reinatalled usb controller/hub drivers - no luck with that either. I'm not savvy enough to run a linux iso cd - don't have one and don't know where to get one. I was hoping it is a regedit fix or BIOS settng. I will swap over mb and see if that makes a difference (even though it seems to me to be a software issue).

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:05 AM

I wonder if it worked before reinstalling the Win 7 or any other OS?

Tekken

#5 SavageKarma

SavageKarma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:11 AM

No, I got the computer 2nd hand - it had xp on it and I found out today that usb drives never worked. So, it seems that the issue does not lie with the software. Well, with the os anyway. Just seems strange that that computer recognises them but won't load drivers.

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:29 PM

http://help.artaro.eu/index.php/data-recovery/recover-files-from-hard-disk.html#.T9f6GrUflAF You can try using this link and connect USB storage drives to check if linux will recognize the flash drives. I would check other BIOS settings also just to make sure there aren't anything left disabled for usb legacy options.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users