Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

antivirus subscription

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 noonytunes

noonytunes

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 10 November 2004 - 01:51 AM

Hi! A 3 month free trial of McAfee anivirus came with my computer. It took some time before I even found it. Then I subscribed to it for a year. It expires November 27th. I guess it has been effective, because I haven't had a problem with viruses.
I just received an e-mail from Panda about a free download for Titanium or Platinum.
I guess I'm concerned about the monitoring...I know you can always scan. I'd like to know what you experienced ones would recommend.
Thanks. :thumbsup:
noonytunes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 10 November 2004 - 02:03 AM

one vote for Grisoft AVG from me. Free. Updated regularly. Czechoslavokian. Upgrade available for modest price. Several good options built in. Decent GUI. I haven't had but 1 virus in 22 months with it, and the one I got was precisely when it wasn't on.. in between a reload & while I was searchin' HJT stuff ((believe me, there are risks visiting websites whether you download or not)) The newest version is number seven, they've been in business longer than many others & apparently they've learned a lot. I'll go one more... I used to use Norton, but AVG is twice the coverage at half the cost in memory & system resource drain. Another thing is this: I judge a program partly on how well it uninstalls. Thumbs up for Anti-Virus Group, thumbs down for Symantec. Undecided on McAfee. AVG Much simpler. More effective. Period.

Remember I use winXPpro, a 512MB RAM on a 1.7Mhz processor/MB... and Firefox is my basic browser now, so I don't know if my endorsement would apply so well for other OS versions or other system resource levels or other browsers. Never had a problem in IE with it either, though. :thumbsup:

Edited by phawgg, 10 November 2004 - 02:14 AM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#3 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 10 November 2004 - 08:31 AM

Make that another vote for AVG.It is completely capable of protecting your computer.A lot better then Norton (this is from professional experience)
And best of all its FREE :thumbsup:

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#4 noonytunes

noonytunes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 10 November 2004 - 04:13 PM

Thanks for responding!
noonytunes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users