Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

** My cd/dvd drive disappeared

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 azyardies

azyardies

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 10 June 2012 - 06:48 PM

Hi, I downloaded on cnet website, a disk cleaner called Wise disk.
I would have used the one that comes with my WINDOWS XP Home edition laptop, but it froze and never
did the cleanup. Happens often.
Anyways, I followed the instructions and recommendations of this program for beginners & used the default settings.

But the next day, I notice in the area of "My computer", the only thing there was my C drive, and my document folder and a sharing folder.
My cd/dvd combo drive was not there. Also, it is not in the device manager. If I "run" D:\, it does not come up.
I tried to play a few dvds with not luck.
So did the driver uninstall(get deleted? I am almost positive that the wise disk thing did this.
I did a system restore to the day BEFORE I installed/used the disk thing. But no dvd drive there.

I have the recovery disk that came with my pc, but of course it wont work cause my optical drive is not working.

Can downloading the drivers online do the trick and if so, where can I get them. I did a search but I didnt see a match in the
HP site. Here is what I think I have, according to some research: HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GWA-4082N

Please give me a link to a safe download for this driver and also any tips to the installation that may be needed.
THank you for reading and in advance for your answers.
WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION sp2
HP Pavilion DV8110us
PN: EP404UA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:48 PM

After reading your thread one thing comes to mind System Restore.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...system-restore

#3 azyardies

azyardies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:10 PM

I did a system restore to the day BEFORE I installed/used the disk thing. But no dvd drive there."

Hi InadequateInfirmity ,
Thanks but as u can see, my original post states that I tried system restore to a time before I installed and used the disk cleaner.

#4 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:30 PM

Try this

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116

#5 azyardies

azyardies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:45 PM

Thank you. I had seen a similar fix yesterday, so I did attempt to resolve this using this link:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

Today, you suggested this fix:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116

What is the difference?
In any event, yesterday and (today, using your link) it told me the same thing....I need service pack 3 installed and could not continue with the fix.
I will read on the install of sp3. It is downloaded on my pc already, I just have to install it. It has been sittin there for a couple of years;
I was told if I installed it, my hp laptop would have problems.
So i just kept it there without doing anything to it.

I hope I am not back here later asking for help cause installation of this sp3 made my pc unstable.
Wish me luck and thanks again.

#6 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:02 PM

Who told you sp3 would cause problems? that is a lie install sp3 without a doubt

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:47 AM

About Windows XP Service Pack 3 - HP Customer Care (United States - English) - http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01452495&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&softwareitem=pv-60484-2

Louis

#8 azyardies

azyardies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:25 PM

Thank you all for your input.
And As far as who told me about conflicts with certain HP laptops and installation of sp3, I read it in other message boards so long ago that I do not even remember where.
I had re-googled it and read about a Microsoft 'fix' to do before installing that would help.
However:
Here is an update on sp3 installation. I tried to do the MS "fix", and it wouldnt let me do it. So I decided to take the advise of all and just install sp3. I did, after I made a back up and it appears all is fine. I think it took way too much space on my pathetic 80gb HDD. I only have 22gb left. It has made it a bit sluggish.
But, my system is older and I cant expect it to be super sonic fast anyways.
So thanks to all, I got the nerve to install and all good.

Let me add to my original post. I dont know how it happened, but my dvd drive came back. I wish I could say that sp3 and the updates that came after fixed this,but I honestly dont know.
In any event, thanks.
Unfortunately, I now have a different issue going on with my LCD screen, but I know that this is NOT related to sp3 or any updates, cause it has been going on for a while.
I will post in the correct forum.
Thanks to all

Edited by azyardies, 21 June 2012 - 01:28 PM.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:34 PM

:thumbsup:

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users