Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Welcome to nginx - is this a virus or proxy issue

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 luv2bike2nv

luv2bike2nv

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 10 June 2012 - 06:11 PM

Please if I posted this in the wrong forum let me know which forum i should post it and I will.

A friend of mine had the Welcome to nginx come up when she went into IE which should have come up with the AT&T webpage. she ran Malwarebytes quick scan, which found nothing so she ran the full scan and that did not find anything. She ran Spybot Search and Destroy and cleaned up the coupon spyware. after that her computer was running fine she did not get the Welcome to nginx webpage. yesterday she got the same webpage Welcome to nginx. She looked it up on the internet (so did I) and have found several conflicting answers. some say it is not a virus/malware etc it has to do with the proxy server and check out the internet options clear the dns etc, some say it is a virus/malware and remove it. She has Microsoft Security Esstentails, ran the quick and full scan and it did not find anything. I looked at the laptop and ran microsoft security scanner quick scan and it did not find anything, full scan came up clean as well. I ran ESET and nothing came up.
I have uninstalled her old versions of Adobe Reader and Java and installed the current versions. Her laptop seems to be running fine however:

my question is: is Welcome to nginx a virus or something to do with the proxy server that some of the web sites say it is?

another issue i had was installing Logmein software, it said it could not download it. I have not had that proplem with any of my other friends computers and was wondering if the Welcome to nginx is causing me to download it. Does anyone know?

thanks,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,744 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:57 PM

Nginx is an open source web hosting software and reverse proxy server/mail proxy server used by many websites. From what I have read, the Welcome to Nginx! message usually indicates some type of glitch on the server side. In most cases the following steps will resolve the issue:

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 luv2bike2nv

luv2bike2nv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:47 PM

Thank you very much for getting back to me on this issue.
I will follow your instructions! :)

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,744 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:07 AM

No problem...good luck.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016