Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spy Sheriff And Safe Mode Not Booting.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 willmon18

willmon18

• Deactivated
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 01 March 2006 - 07:20 PM

The problem is that the computer has spy sheriff and some virus or something on it. It is a Windows XP Professional computer and it is part of the school network. In the regular mode things will not work especially task manager option is grayed out and will not let you use it to end tasks. When in regular mode nothing will work when trying to open a task explorer.exe apparently has an error closes and reopens it may not say this but I know what it is I am a computer tech. I have tried to boot in safe mode but it just sits there in idle and does nothing it just displays a black screen and says Windows XP Professional Safe mode yada yada yada. The only thing I can think of to fix the problem is to reformat but just to make sure that this is the only solution I just wanted to write here and make sure. It is my first time here I usually write to protonic for my problems but I am writing to them for some other problem and I did not want to open up another ticket with them. Protonic is free just to let you all know and it has a live support option except they are not on there much at all I have only seen it up once since it was there probally because it is in beta. I have never got to use the option so I can't tell you if it is good to use or not. But there support is exellent. They support you by email. I am going to be reformatting the computer by 6th hour in my class so if you can reply by then it would be great. I really would like to avoid reformatting the computer anyway it takes over an hour. Thanks in advance.
William Montgomery Walters

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 02 March 2006 - 12:12 AM

See if this helps:
How to remove SpySheriff / Winstall.exe / Spysheriff.exe
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2006 - 12:12 AM

Do you have admin privileges on this computer?

You will need admin rights to download and install some aps that will help you remove the malware, and then the Hijack This ap to make sure you have gotten rid of it.

Please see the following:

How to remove the Spysheriff
Credits: bananafanafo (and Grinler for posting it)

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/How...exe-t22402.html

#4 willmon18

willmon18
  • Topic Starter

• Deactivated
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2006 - 02:15 AM

Yes I do have Admin rights. But the thing is that I can log in as administrator all I want everything will still be there and it will not do anything you want it to do explore.exe will not respond and it will open itself back up again and repeat the process. As in you try to do something the screen flashes and then you have your desktop back to where it was. This is due to the explore.exe not responding. I can not uninstall things boot into safe mode or anything else.

#5 willmon18

willmon18
  • Topic Starter

• Deactivated
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2006 - 03:16 PM

Ok the problem is solved. I did not recover. A Full computer tech came in and fixed it. He got it into safe mode some how. I have no clue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users