Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost Password And I Can't Use Computer!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 nathansdad04

nathansdad04

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 01 March 2006 - 07:17 PM

My 8 yr old changed the 'administrator' password on his computer(windows2000) and has no idea what the password is now. i can't even log on to the computer w/o it. anything i can do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 01 March 2006 - 10:06 PM

Hope you have the Windows CD and the 25 digit Microsoft license number.

Other than hacking it, which we cannot teach you how to do, the only thing you can do is reload the op system.

You can try taking it to a pro who might be able to crack it. Call around and see if you can find one.

Windows 2000 is one of Microsoft's professional, high security systems and as such it would take the skill of a very skilled hacker and a lot of luck to get into it.

How did the little miscreant get the admin logon in the first place?

By the way, once you gat it reloaded it's a good idea to set a second admin account which only you know as a "back door" in case the original gets changed or corrupted, but hindsight is always 20/20.

Edited by Enthusiast, 01 March 2006 - 10:07 PM.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 02 March 2006 - 01:02 AM

A local computer store may do it if you can prove you own the computer.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 nathansdad04

nathansdad04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2006 - 06:05 AM

He is 8rs old and hooked on locking things and having passwords. I warned him a hundred times NOT to change the f_cking password. So of course, he changes the password to a number that was 16 characters long and instead of re-typing the password when the computer asks to 'confirm' he cut-and -pasted the number(which of course, he had mistyped)

#5 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2006 - 06:33 AM

Try this tool it may give you access again

* This is a utility to (re)set the password of any user that has a valid (local) account on your NT system.
* You do not need to know the old password to set a new one.
* It works offline, that is, you have to shutdown your computer and boot off a floppydisk or CD. The bootdisk includes stuff to access NTFS and FAT/FAT32 partitions and scripts to glue the whole thing together.
* Will detect and offer to unlock locked or disabled out user accounts!
* It is also an almost fully functional registry editor!

If you have a copy of WinXP you could build the UBCD4Win which has sala password renew which should be able to reset the admin password for you.

How to build UBCD4Win

911 Forum post on Sala password renew

#6 nathansdad04

nathansdad04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2006 - 06:40 AM

Thanks for the links, but all of that is way over my head. I bought the computer 'used' so I don't have a Win2000 disc.

#7 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2006 - 04:27 PM

If you don't feel confident enough to do the above I'd just suggest buying a copy of XP and reformat and do a clean install of the OS. You'll find it cheaper than paying someone to unlock it for you.

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2006 - 11:25 PM

Before you try to install XP you need to find out if your computer and everything on it is compatable with XP and even if it is, if you do an upgrade rather than a full format and a full, fresh install you would have to get XP Pro rather than XP Home.

Windows XP Advisor (will inform you if Win XP will be able to be installed on your computer)
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upg...ng/advisor.mspx

Programs that are known to experience a loss of functionality when they run on a Windows XP Service Pack 2-based computer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...ct=windowsxpsp2

Some programs seem to stop working after you install Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842242/

Edited by Enthusiast, 02 March 2006 - 11:27 PM.

#9 TedOb1

TedOb1

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2006 - 06:07 AM

nathansdad04 your best and easiest bet IMHO is ntpassword. stidyup posted a link for it at the top of post 5. this can clear a password no sweat.

i use this and only this and it has not failed me once. if you follow the instructions on the download page it shouldn't be too confusing. it will walk you threw some questions. the answer to almost all of them is the default choice so you just hit enter. at any point you can quit without changing anything. the very last step is to save the changes so if your unsure you can stop and post your question then wait for an answer before you go on. you just need someone who can burn the iso to a CD if you dont have another computer

Edited by TedOb1, 04 March 2006 - 06:14 AM.

#10 Bear

Bear

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2006 - 07:25 AM

Click
Posted Image

My System Specs

Comptia A+, Network + & MCP certified.

0 user(s) are reading this topic