Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suddenly my computer isn't remembering me at websites that I'm signed in at after closing IE8 and reopening it again

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 notinfallible

notinfallible

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:27 AM

I have been using Internet Explorer 8 for quite a while now and suddenly this morning I encountered a new problem.

For instance, I'm signed into this webiste right now, if I were to close IE and reopen it then come back to this site, it won't remember me. I haven't changed any settings. I have had the settings exactly as they are now for a long long time. Before this morning, I could be signed in to a bunch of different sites, turn the computer off, then turn it back on and go back to the sites I was signed into and I'd still be signed in.

Whenever I sign off now, it's acting like I used CCleaner to remove any temp files, but I'm not.

Is anybody else experiencing this? Has anybody ever experienced this?

I can usually figure stuff like this out, but for some reason I can't figure this one out on my own.

The most important thing in communication is to hear what isn't being said.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 10 June 2012 - 01:39 PM

Are you sure the Delete Browsing Cookies on exit isn't checked in IE Tools?

Step 1. Open Internet Explorer

Step 2. In the list of menus at the top, click Tools >> then in the dropdown menu that appears select Internet Options.

Step 3. In the Browsing History section verify the box next to Delete browsing history on exit is unchecked.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 notinfallible

notinfallible
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2012 - 04:51 PM

Are you sure the Delete Browsing Cookies on exit isn't checked in IE Tools?

Step 1. Open Internet Explorer

Step 2. In the list of menus at the top, click Tools >> then in the dropdown menu that appears select Internet Options.

Step 3. In the Browsing History section verify the box next to Delete browsing history on exit is unchecked.

Yes, it is unchecked.

I've unchecked, applied, hit OK, exited and reopened IE, tried several different sites about 25 times, and still no progress. That was the first thing I attempted. Next I reset IE back to it's original state and configured it the same that I've had it configured for the last couple years and that didn't work. I've disabled any add-on that was running, tried restarting, turning the computer off. I've deleted all the Java and Adobe Active X stuff and re-installed it and still I get the same results.

#4 notinfallible

notinfallible
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:40 PM

I'm pretty sure I solved my problem. :bananas:

I unistalled CCleaner, reset IE, and rebooted. After it booted back into windows, I opened Internet Explorer, signed into a couple different sites, closed IE, waited a couple minutes and opened IE again, went to the sites that I had signed into, and I was still signed in!!!

Don't ask me why CCleaner was doing this.:crazy: After all of this, I reinstalled CCleaner and everything still works!:hysterical:

Edited by notinfallible, 10 June 2012 - 08:40 PM.

#5 notinfallible

notinfallible
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:38 PM

I'm extremely disapointed to have to reply to my own thread again, but my computer isn't remembering me again. After my previous post yesterday, everything worked fine up until about 5 minutes ago. It's doing the exact same thing again. WHAT IS GOING ON? WHAT COULD POSSIBLY BE CAUSING THIS? WHY DID IT SAVE MY LOGIN AND PASSWORD WHEN I'D CLOSE EXPLORER FOR A DAY THEN ALL OF SUDDEN STOP DOING SO?

I think this is very strange and I would appreciate some help please. I haven't changed any settings, CCleaner isn't set to automatically clean files, and I wouldn't be posting if I hadn't tried, over and over again, all the basic simple steps to solving this. Please someone figure this out.

#6 notinfallible

notinfallible
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:21 PM

190 views and only 1 attempt at helping me.............:angry:

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:09 PM

You have done everything I can think of to correct the issue. I don't have any other suggestions. We at Bleeping Computer on the rare occasion run into cases that we do not have answers to.

I will post your plea for assistance in our staff area to see if anybody has a suggestion. Please be patient.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,572 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:21 PM

1) Reinstall ccleaner and use it to delete the index.dat file and all cookies. Then reboot and see if the same thing happens. Just having ccleaner installed will not effect anything - you need to proactively use it for it to have any impact.

2) Then open Internet Options and on the Advanced Tab reset to defaults (button on bottom). Then go to the Privacy Tab - Advanced button and make sure you are accepting 1st party & session cookies.

3) If the problem persists, please try a different browser (Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Opera) just as a test to see if the problem carries over or is unique to IE.

4) Can you think of ANYTHING that may have happened (new sw, hw, virus, etc) between the last time IE worked as expected and the first time it didn't?

Edited by Allan, 13 June 2012 - 12:42 PM.

#9 notinfallible

notinfallible
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:32 PM

Thanks for the replies, I don't have time to try anything right now, but I will be back later.

#10 notinfallible

notinfallible
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:54 PM

I'm pretty sure I resolved the problem.

I'm not quite sure why deleting CCleaner temporarily resolved the problem initially, but I reinstalled it and everything is working fine. So to anybody reading this, CCleaner is a great program and I highly recommend it.

I think problem was with Internet Explorer 8. Up until two days ago, I don't think IE8 was deleting any files on exiting the program, even though I had that option ticked. I have gotten a bunch of notifications over the last couple from Microsoft, and most of them were for IE8. So, I think that one of the updates fixed the issue and now it's working fine because whenever I close IE, the little hour glass pops up where the cursor is and it never used to do that.

I hope that makes sense and I hope that I really did resolve the issue this time.

Thanks for your time.

Edited by notinfallible, 13 June 2012 - 10:56 PM.

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,572 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:03 AM

Glad you got it sorted out. If the issue recurs please let us know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users