Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows tab not working

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 grassy

grassy

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 10 June 2012 - 03:50 AM

Hello, for some reason my windows tab on my keyboard which is situated next to my ctrl key is not working when i press it. It should bring up the start menu list for my programs and when i hit it nothing happens. Any ideas.

MY SYSTEM, IN-WIN 909 SILVER CASE, INTEL 3960X PROCESSOR,CORSAIR DOMINATOR 2133 RAM,RAMPAGE 4 EXTREME BLACK EDITION MOTHERBOARD, NVIDIA GTX980ti GRAPHICS CARD,,EK 980TI WATERBLOCK
CORSAIR FORCE SERIES GS 360GIG SSD,SANDISK EXTREME 480GIG SSD,SAMSUNG 180 GIG SSD,,BITSPOWER FITTINGS
2 B&W MM1 COMPUTER SPEAKERS,DELL U3011/30 INCH MONITOR,HEATKILLER PRO4 CPU WATERBLOCK,CORSAIR AX1200 POWER SUPPLY....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 10 June 2012 - 04:36 AM

Well, most probably it broke. Get it repaired from your local computer hardware store.
SYSTEM SPECS.
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 | Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz | 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz RAM | 488 GB WD SATA HDD | 1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 | No real-time antivirus | MBAM on-demand | Windows 7's Built-in Firewall |

#3 grassy

grassy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2012 - 05:01 AM

Well, most probably it broke. Get it repaired from your local computer hardware store.

Oh i see, that explains it. But what i dont understand about your answer is the fact that i dont understand.

MY SYSTEM, IN-WIN 909 SILVER CASE, INTEL 3960X PROCESSOR,CORSAIR DOMINATOR 2133 RAM,RAMPAGE 4 EXTREME BLACK EDITION MOTHERBOARD, NVIDIA GTX980ti GRAPHICS CARD,,EK 980TI WATERBLOCK
CORSAIR FORCE SERIES GS 360GIG SSD,SANDISK EXTREME 480GIG SSD,SAMSUNG 180 GIG SSD,,BITSPOWER FITTINGS
2 B&W MM1 COMPUTER SPEAKERS,DELL U3011/30 INCH MONITOR,HEATKILLER PRO4 CPU WATERBLOCK,CORSAIR AX1200 POWER SUPPLY....

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 10 June 2012 - 05:08 AM

As Alvus suggests, it's possible that the Windows key has simply failed. Do any other Win key combinations work, such as Win/D taking you to the desktop? If no Win key commands work, then the contact under the key has probably broken. Another check would be to try a different keyboard.

If Win key commands work but just the menu alone doesn't pop up, that will be a different thing.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2012 - 05:20 AM

Oh i see, that explains it. But what i dont understand about your answer is the fact that i dont understand.

What do you mean? I put it straight and simple - if the key doesn't work, there is a very highly probability that the key simply doesn't work - that is, it broke, something is wrong with the keyboard hardware itself. So you've to get it repaired, simple.

Try what Platypus said, if Win Key combinations(using that Win key which isn't working) too don't work, then it very much points to the probable fact that - your keyboard broke.

Edited by Alvas Rawuther, 10 June 2012 - 05:22 AM.

SYSTEM SPECS.
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 | Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz | 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz RAM | 488 GB WD SATA HDD | 1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 | No real-time antivirus | MBAM on-demand | Windows 7's Built-in Firewall |

#6 grassy

grassy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2012 - 05:58 AM

As Alvus suggests, it's possible that the Windows key has simply failed. Do any other Win key combinations work, such as Win/D taking you to the desktop? If no Win key commands work, then the contact under the key has probably broken. Another check would be to try a different keyboard.

If Win key commands work but just the menu alone doesn't pop up, that will be a different thing.

Problem solved, on my keyboard there is a gaming key and a pc mode key, which are one of the same marked by a symbol. The control on the keyboard needed to be shifted to the left to put it in pc mode.Thats something i have just learned about keyboards nowadays on some there is more than 1 mode and thats how i fixed the problem.Thanks bro

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 10 June 2012 - 06:02 AM

Good! Thanks for letting us know the solution.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#8 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:07 AM

Problem solved, on my keyboard there is a gaming key and a pc mode key, which are one of the same marked by a symbol. The control on the keyboard needed to be shifted to the left to put it in pc mode.Thats something i have just learned about keyboards nowadays on some there is more than 1 mode and thats how i fixed the problem.Thanks bro

So you are one really smart fella.
SYSTEM SPECS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users