Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shell.dll error

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bobk

bobk

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 10 November 2004 - 12:37 AM

I am unable to install new software on my dell 2400 p4-1.8 running win XP pro. When the new program tries to install from the CD Rom drive I get the error
" missing shell.dll "
I have bought the program "PC Rescue" that was supposed to fix " Shell.dll " errors and it was unsuccessful in correcting this problem.
I also ran a register scan repair that was supposed to fix and repair this error - it did not help.
I have run Ad-aware, Spybot search & destroy, tweak now reg cleaner. My norton anti virus corporate edition is up to date.

How do I restore my shell.dll file or register it so it can be found?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 10 November 2004 - 01:05 AM

hi, bobk welcome to BC :flowers: I'm kinda runnin' out o' steam, it's been a long day here (my 120th day since I joined, I noticed earlier. hmmm) I remembered reading about a similar problem...missing shell.dll having been resolved. I also recalled that the guy who developed/created CWS had a service available to download missing files. I checked there, but the site has changed somewhat and I can't seem to find it. Anyway, check the info, read carefully. Maybe it'll help 'til someone else can. Also this: a snapfiles download :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#3 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 10 November 2004 - 08:19 AM

You could check this out. The link should take you right to "S" listings. Just scroll down to "shell.dll" I've not used this site. But have had it saved. 'Cause well you never know, do you? Good Luck. :thumbsup: DLL Dump

Edited by scarlett, 10 November 2004 - 08:22 AM.

Posted Image

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 10 November 2004 - 09:12 AM

We actually have a copy of shell.dll with instructions on how to install it here:

Shell.dll for XP Download

#5 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 10 November 2004 - 02:28 PM

We actually have a copy of shell.dll

Ya' gotta love the dry, casual, matter-of-fact way that's put... If you've ever stared at a problem long enough to realize just how much trouble you're in like, for instance:

I am unable to install new software

then ya' know what I mean!! :thumbsup:
BTW, I've clicked on several of the ads on this site. Grinler does an excellant job of providing ones that curiously match the topics, if you've noticed. :flowers:

Edited by phawgg, 10 November 2004 - 02:36 PM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users