Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My laptop won't update

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Kman12

Kman12

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 09 June 2012 - 05:23 PM

My laptop which is an Asus made in 2008 that runs Window's Vista, will not update. Ex. it will not load the Vista update's when I restart it and the screen just remains frozen forever(or for a very long time until I manually restart it). Additionally, it will not upload updates for any devices via iTunes when I sync them saying they ether failed or there isn't enough space to update them. The same with my anti-virus and other updates I run on my laptop with the end result saying they failed to instill. Also webpages like FB and email don't load fully. Almost like the flash didn't work.

Furthermore; my laptop constantly swings wildly in terms of total space aval on the C drive. Ex. it can go from 1 GB to less then 100 KB quite quickly or over the course of a few hours despite using not that many programs at one time.

I know I have a defect with some of my hardware from when my computer was made but this is entirely new what I'm experiencing. I don't think it's a very as I've run my anti-virus and it didn't detect anything.

If I could get any help I'd be thankful! B)

Edited by Kman12, 09 June 2012 - 05:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techmini

techmini

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:35 PM

Kman12,
Sounds like you might have system protection set too high.

• Right click on Computer and select Properties.
  • Click on the System Protection tab
  • In the Protection Settings section click on your system (C:) drive
  • Click configure botton
  • Slide the max usage down (keep in mind this will delete older restore points and versions of files)
    • You only need a few hundred MB to protect you from most system updates
    • If you are trying to use this for data protection I recommend finding another backup solution that stores your files somewhere besides your system drive
  • Click OK and OK

#3 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:12 PM

You will need to free up at least 10 gigs of space here is a program that will assist you in doing this.
http://w3.win.tue.nl/nl/onderzoek/onderzoek_informatica/visualization/sequoiaview/
This may be the main reason you are having issues.Because if you do not have enough space then you can not update anything.

#4 Kman12

Kman12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:04 AM

Kman12,
Sounds like you might have system protection set too high.

• Right click on Computer and select Properties.
  • Click on the System Protection tab
  • In the Protection Settings section click on your system (C:) drive
  • Click configure botton
  • Slide the max usage down (keep in mind this will delete older restore points and versions of files)
    • You only need a few hundred MB to protect you from most system updates
    • If you are trying to use this for data protection I recommend finding another backup solution that stores your files somewhere besides your system drive
  • Click OK and OK

I'm afraid I don't understand. I followed your directions exactly and I couldn't open anything to configure c drive as when I clicked on the section all it did was highlight with the only other alternative being system restore.

I did come across a system space quota option but not in the protection tab. And that was set to no limit.

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:41 AM

Hard drive is full and probably infected. Transferring some media files to an external drive would gain you that needed space.

Tekken

#6 techmini

techmini

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:12 AM

Kman12,

I apologize. The steps I gave should work under Windows 7, but obviously not under Vista as you did state at the beginning.

Try the following steps:
  • Click Windows Start Button.
  • Click Start>All Programs>Accessories
  • Right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
  • In console window that opens type the following:
vssadmin list shadowstorage
  • Copy the contents of the console and paste in reply
  • Right click on title of console window
  • Click Edit>Select All
  • Right click again on title of console window
  • Click Edit>Copy

#7 Kman12

Kman12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:59 PM

Kman12,

I apologize. The steps I gave should work under Windows 7, but obviously not under Vista as you did state at the beginning.

Try the following steps:

• Click Windows Start Button.
  • Click Start>All Programs>Accessories
  • Right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
  • In console window that opens type the following:
vssadmin list shadowstorage
  • Copy the contents of the console and paste in reply
  • Right click on title of console window
  • Click Edit>Select All
  • Right click again on title of console window
  • Click Edit>Copy

It gave me nothing in return with this message;

"No items found that satisfy the query"

Edited by Kman12, 11 June 2012 - 05:59 PM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,553 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:04 PM

Please...Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 .

Louis

#9 Kman12

Kman12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:23 PM

Please...Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 .

Louis

Sure here;

I had a very hard time instilling this program though.

Btw could you please edit out my personal info in this such as my name; ip; and any other pertinent information etc.

Edited by Kman12, 12 June 2012 - 08:19 PM.

#10 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:31 PM

As I said before you need to free up some space.Your machine will not function correctly until it has about 17 gigs of free space.!!!!!!!!

#11 Kman12

Kman12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:02 PM

As I said before you need to free up some space.Your machine will not function correctly until it has about 17 gigs of free space.!!!!!!!!

I've pretty much deleted everything possible from my system and still there is little gain in total space!!!!

#12 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:08 PM

http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/ Try this program.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,553 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:55 PM

<<Btw could you please edit out my personal info in this such as my name; ip; and any other pertinent information etc.>>

The Speccy report is a link...I cannot edit any info reflected within a posted link.

Your Windows partition...does not have sufficient free space for Windows to work properly.

Partition 1
Partition ID: Disk #0, Partition #1 Disk Letter: C: File System: NTFS Volume Serial Number: 7483DA52
Size: 116GB Used Space: 116GB (100%) Free Space: 444MB (0%)

Partition 2
Partition ID: Disk #0, Partition #2 Disk Letter: D: File System: NTFS Volume Serial Number: 265901B3
Size: 106GB Used Space: 8.97GB (9%) Free Space: 97GB (91%)

I suggest moving everything that is currently in My Documents, My Music, My Videos, My Music...to all that perfect space on the 106GB partition that is underused.

Then...try updating.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 12 June 2012 - 08:07 PM.

#14 Kman12

Kman12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:16 PM

<<Btw could you please edit out my personal info in this such as my name; ip; and any other pertinent information etc.>>

The Speccy report is a link...I cannot edit any info reflected within a posted link.

Your Windows partition...does not have sufficient free space for Windows to work properly.

Partition 1
Partition ID: Disk #0, Partition #1 Disk Letter: C: File System: NTFS Volume Serial Number: 7483DA52
Size: 116GB Used Space: 116GB (100%) Free Space: 444MB (0%)

Partition 2
Partition ID: Disk #0, Partition #2 Disk Letter: D: File System: NTFS Volume Serial Number: 265901B3
Size: 106GB Used Space: 8.97GB (9%) Free Space: 97GB (91%)

I suggest moving everything that is currently in My Documents, My Music, My Videos, My Music...to all that perfect space on the 106GB partition that is underused.

Then...try updating.

Louis

I'm pretty much computer illaterate.

How do I find all that unused space on my drive? And how do I move it over?

Thank's again!

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,553 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:47 AM

You simply go to My Computer...move the described files from the Windows partition to the other visible existing partition.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users