Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A "Stopped Working" window appears and does not allow to run/start any program

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Souschefie

Souschefie

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:31 PM

Dear Staff Member,

I am getting this small window when I start my computer and it does not allow anything to start. I get various window messages, this time around I wrote down which ones:

"Div X Update Has Stopped Working"
"Adobe Acrobat Speed Launcher Has Stopped Working"
"Google Installer Has Stopped Working"
"Skype Has Stopped Working"

And I tried running a couple of file on Word and Power Point and the samething happened not allowing them to open.

Can you please help me?

Thank you kindly in advance.

Souschefie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2012 - 01:48 PM

Do you have an updated AV program installed? Last time you ran a scan of the system?

Have you tried booting to Last Known Good Configuration?

Tried safe mode?

How long has this problem existed on this system? When is last time all was OK with system?

Louis

#3 Souschefie

Souschefie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2012 - 04:30 PM

Do you have an updated AV program installed? Last time you ran a scan of the system?
Yes, and I ran a scan today (June 9,'12.)

Have you tried booting to Last Known Good Configuration?
I have not, I don't know how to do this. I did a 'System Restore' and ran the recommended option, is this the same as 'booting'?

Tried safe mode?
I have not tried Safe Mode. Exactly, what shall I try doing in Safe Mode, have my computer in Safe Mode permanently? Isn't Safe Mode a slower mode?

How long has this problem existed on this system? When is last time all was OK with system?
This occured last night. Actually, I had just finished watching a movie and the computer shut down on its own. I restarted it and it went ok, but it started denying to run staff (programs like Skype or Word or Ppt.) this morning. Then I did the following:

1. I did System Restore
2. I downloaded TDSSkiller, launched it, clicked on change parameters-Select TDLFS file system and ran a scan, then I did this on it: I Rootkit.boot.pihar - CURED it and TDSSfilesystem - DELETED it
3. I downloaded Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, launched it and ran a scan and then I did this on it: selected all infections and DELETED them.

Thank you for your time and assistance, by the way.

Edited by Souschefie, 09 June 2012 - 04:33 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2012 - 04:52 PM

Sooo...you had a rootkit infection which you think you have neutralized within the last 24 hours...yet your problems developed circa the same time that you first realized the system was infected?

I'm not very smart...but I'd say one of two things has taken place:

A. Your system is still infected.

B. You have extensive damage to your O/S by virtue of the malware or your removal efforts.

If A is even close to being true, then you should follow Steps 6-9 at Preparation Guide, Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html and post the requested logs and narrative in the forum where the Prep Guide is listed. Malware log topics are not to be posted in this forum.

If B is trodding the correct path...your best bet would probably be to run the sfc scannow command.

How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic43051.html

Those are my best guesses...others here may have better ideas of what's transpired and how to overcome.

The questions re safe mode and last known good...are just basic options available to users to try to overcome/assess possible causes of system problems. If a system runs fine in safe mode, but exhibits problems in normal mode...there's a good chance that the problems lie with startups or drivers or malware, IMO. Since you seem to have no problem booting, last known good isn't very useful.

It's also possible that you have hardware issues...system overheating or failing hardware. Either can cripple a system. But...since malware is the logical suspect that I would pursue, I focus on that.

System Restore is better than nothing...but I've read that it can be unreliable. I don't use it, preferring backups made periodically.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users