Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD and CD-ROM Drive Not Detected

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 daniels7384

daniels7384

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 09 June 2012 - 03:25 AM

Hey guys. i urgently need help my desktop dell computer does't detect any Hard disk drive. I have tried changing the Data Cables (system buses), changing the hard disks, restoring the Bios to default configurations but all in vain. Please Help Me................... Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 09 June 2012 - 03:42 AM

Please post the desktop computer model and changes or issues before the problem? Any error messages/details showing? Do you have an IDE or SATA hard drive?

Tekken

#3 daniels7384

daniels7384
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:15 PM

It's an IDE HDD (hard drive), at the start-up it displays No primary drive found, No secondary Drive found. Please fix the disks and place F1 to continue and if you place F1 the same message appears (i.e Place F1 to continue and F2 to run System setup).

Edited by hamluis, 09 June 2012 - 01:11 PM.
Edited size - Hamluis.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:33 PM

1. Uninstall the drive through Device Manager.
Restart computer. The drive will be automatically reinstalled.
or...
2. Delete Upper & Lower Filters http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116
Restart computer.
or...
3. Download, and run Restore Missing CD Drive patch
Double click on cdgone.zip to unzip it.
Right click on cdgone.reg, click Merge.
Accept registry merge.
Restart computer.
or...
4. Go to Device Manager, click a "+" sign next to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
You'll see two items:
- ATA Channel0 (or Primary Channel)
- ATA Channel1 (or Secondary Channel)
Right click on each of them, and click Uninstall. Confirm.
Restart Windows. They'll be automatically reinstalled.

#5 daniels7384

daniels7384
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:40 PM

I Guess i can't do that because the computer does't pass that stage of placing F1 to try again or F2 to run setup. How can i do that when i can't boot to windows. Thanks

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:49 PM

Sorry - I missed the part about your hd - my mistake. Please disregard my previous post completely.

What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

#7 daniels7384

daniels7384
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:57 PM

In the morning the PC was working well, i switched it off in the evening after work then all of a sudden the following morning it started displaying such messages of F1's and F2's. No virus coz i am using Karspersky Internet security fully updated, and activated. No new software installed and i tried changing the Hard disks but all in vain. Thanks

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2012 - 01:23 PM

And you can't boot to a cd either? Have you replaced the battery on the motherboard? If not, please do. I doubt the solution will be that easy, but let's rule it out. After replacing the battery please reset the bios to default.

#9 daniels7384

daniels7384
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2012 - 01:35 PM

You can't Boot from CD coz i tried it with Hirens' boot CD but The CD-Rom is not detected either. I tried removing The CMOS Battrey for about 20-30 Minutes and put it back 2 restore the default Bios setting But this Computer Sucks. i don't know what's wrong with it. let me try replacing the CMOS battery and i see what will happen next.

#10 daniels7384

daniels7384
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2012 - 01:38 PM

You can't Boot from CD coz i tried it with Hirens' boot CD but The CD-Rom is not detected either. I tried removing The CMOS Battrey for about 20-30 Minutes and put it back 2 restore the default Bios setting But this Computer Sucks. i don't know what's wrong with it. let me try replacing the CMOS battery and i see what will happen next.

OOPS. SAME ERROR MESSAGE (PLACE F1 TO RETRY AND F2 TO SETUP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users