Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unidentifief Network - Local Access Only

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Austin_A

Austin_A

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:47 PM

Here is my computer specs:

HP Pavilion dv6700 Notebook PC
Windows Vista 32 bit: Service Packet 2
AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-60 2.00 GHz
3 GB of memory

Network Driver:
Atheros AR5007 802.11b/g Wifi Adapter
Version 7.4.2.15

Now the problem:
So a week ago I moved into an apartment with Internet provided by Charter Cable. The cable goes into a Cisco modem and then a Netgear router. When I try connecting to the internet, it connects to the modem however my laptop comes up with inidentified network-local access only and by default I don't receive any Internet access. I would also like to add that all three roommates have no issues connecting to the Internet, Including a laptop with wi does vista.

I've already been through many trouble shooting options. These include...

Correct password.
Restarting my computer.
Messing with the IPV4 and the IPV6 settings and checking that they obtain the address automatically.
Booting my laptop in safe ode.
Creating another account and trying to connect that way.
Deleting previous connections and restarting.
Disabling all antivirus(Avast) and firewalls.
Uninstalling antivirus software(avast)
Installing new antivirus software(AVG)
and many more...

I've also tried connecting directly to the modem via Ethernet cable but the same thing happens.

I've spent four hours on the phone this week with HP/Charter/random computer stores in town. They all put blame on my laptop's settings, but I just don't know what other settings there are that I could modify. I've never had a problem connecting to any networks, both wirelessly and wired.

If anyone can offer me knowledgable advice, I would greatly appreciate it. Also if you need any other details, just let me know.

Thanks in Advance,

Austin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:19 AM

FWIW: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistanetworking/thread/1e26fb5b-7d35-47ad-a50d-2025737da6b0

Louis

#3 Austin_A

Austin_A
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:31 PM

Louis,

Thank you for referring me to the forum above. Although I had stepped through this forum last week, I thought I might do it again just in case there was something I missed. Turns out I missed something the first go around. What ended up working for me was updating my Atheros Wireless LAN Driver at HP's site -> Update for Atheros Wireless LAN Driver. I can't believe something I did finally worked. I honestly thought I was going to have to take off vista and install Linux...might do that anyways.

Note to others:

If you are like me in the sense that you think you have tried everything. Try the update listed above. I'm not promising you that it will work because I have been through the empty promises that other forums gave. If that doesn't work, do to the forum suggested by Louis and try more solutions.

Thanks again Louis. Hopefully you'll never hear from me again,

Austin

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 09 June 2012 - 01:44 PM

All's well that ends well :).

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic