Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer Monitor won't stay on

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 millworker301

millworker301

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:58 PM

Acer Ferrari F-22 LCD monitor, won't stay on, that is when it comes on. It was on yesterday for a little while but then went off, It is not a computer issue, I have ruled that out. I have also opened the monitor to check for visual damage to any capacitors, didn't see any. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dr12volt1338

Dr12volt1338

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:25 PM

Power supply or converter within the monitor would be my first guess.....

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:24 PM

Power supply/inverter is the first candidate, with bad electrolytic capacitors (not always visibly faulty) or fractured solder joint(s) likely causes. Unfortunately a bad backlight tube or other component fault is also possible, and it's not simple for the cause to be identified outside of an electronics workshop.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 millworker301

millworker301
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:32 AM

Are is the powersupply/inverter the same board? There are 2 boards in the monitor. One large and one smaller.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 09 June 2012 - 03:03 PM

Hi
The power board should be the one the AC cord plugs into as well as having the largest capacitor(s) on it.

3 year warranty, how old is it?

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 millworker301

millworker301
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2012 - 06:19 PM

monitor is between 3 and 4. Is out of warranty.

#7 millworker301

millworker301
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2012 - 06:39 PM

Does anyone have a link as to were I could get a repair kit for this monitor? thanks

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:55 PM

You're probably not going to find a "kit" as such, because no-one knows which components are faulty.

If you're considering capacitors, badcaps has some kits for common problem motherboards, but not specifically for monitors, as there is just so many. They do sell a range of individual capacitors. If you have soldering ability ( and to be safe, understand electrical precautions), you could try replacing the electrolytic capacitors on the power/inverter board just to see if that cures it.

Many electronics wholesalers, repairers or hobbyist stores would also be able to supply decent quality 105C rated capacitors.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#9 Peleida

Peleida

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:03 AM

Hello,

Before buyng capacitores, I would like to suggest to ressolder all componentes in the high voltage section using flux soldering liquid: coils, filter capacitors, bridge rectifier, terminals of the chopper transformer, the MOSFET transistor and the big resevoir capacitor (something lilike 100 ou 220 microfarads and 400V of working voltage. This component must be discharged, shorting its terminais with a screwdriver. And then test your monitor. If this not work, look for lW or 2W resistors having signs of overheating; after this resistor can be a faulty component which get interrupted when heats up.
Next you can replace the electrolitic capacitor on the inverter board (if any). It is hard to find out a leaky or dried capacitor and replacing them seems the best way.
I hope have helped.
Peleida

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users