Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dailup Internet Problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jaybird934

Jaybird934

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 01 March 2006 - 04:39 PM

A friend of mine suddenly began getting a "no answer" error message after listening to her modem dial, and make the connection noises, with her local ISP.com number. I took her PC to my house and was able to connect to MY local number....and other numbers I tried dialing, so her modem is fine, and her modem driver is fine. I took it back to her house, and connected to MY local numbers, which is long distance for her, and THOSE work fine. The ISP tech I called tried her local number himself, and it worked for him (also noted there was not a server outage). They said it may be a "local routing issue", which the phone company came and tested...and said it wasn't. Phone company said if this was the case she would routinely be dialing wrong numbers when using her phone. I also checked her connections, disconnecting other phones/devices in her house that could degrade her signal strength (which ISP also said could be culprit), and still had problems. ISP said when calling long distance, the signal strength is boosted, so that could explain what was occurring.....BUT, the local phone company has now tested the signal strength and said it was fine. She went on, against my advice, and switched to another ISP. Of course, her issue remains.

Anyone have any other ideas about what it may be?? ...or suggestions to fix this??

thanks much in advance, Jaybird

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 02 March 2006 - 01:32 AM

Since you were onl testing the modem could it be a conflict with a program she is running that you never started? When it happens check the task manager to see what is running.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Jaybird934

Jaybird934
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 02 March 2006 - 10:17 AM

Good thought acklan, but I don't think that's it. From my house, every number her ISP allows her to connect to works great. From her house (after I took the PC back) , she can connect to every number OTHER THAN her local area numbers. It's very odd. A software conflict would not be selective in this way.
- thanks for the thought Acklan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users