Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hello all

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Davvy123

Davvy123

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:18 PM

Heya everybody,

I'm male, middle aged, living out in the San Francisco bay area, yes, right in Silicon Valley, but not an engineering or programmer type.

I work in sales and marketing, but have spent a lot of time around tech people and companies. I have 3 desktops on a home wired/wireless network, two laptops, and our family of 3 each has his/her own iphone, a couple of ipods, and one Nook Tablet. I had an iPad 2, but sold it, and am waiting to have a bit of disposable income before I replace it with a iPad 3.

I joined bleepingcomputer today because I want to start learning more about the nuts and bolts of PCs and how to fine tune networking them, using them, keeping them safe, and making them humm along nicely. I want to lift the hood and start tinkering with the interiors - what makes an i7 different from an i5, why is one machine slow and another fast, what are the best parts to buy and upgrade with, what storage devices to purchase, how to set up a NAS raid, etc. Most importantly, I want to learn how to safeguard my machines against hacking, malware, and other nasties which I know I'll encounter on the Web. And if in the process, I can help others with the skills I'll develop, then it'll be all the sweeter, because I do get a kick out of helping friends and relatives when they come and ask for it, and I *can* help them out.

So that's it in a nutshell. I'm looking forward to a long and rewarding relationship with these boards, hope to make many friends within them. Thanks all for taking the time to read all this. :P

Davvy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:05 PM

Hello and :welcome: to Bleeping Computer.

Be sure to check out the New User Orientation and the excellent Tutorials.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users