Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blog Smilies

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Poll: Blog Smilies (15 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like to see the limit of smilies in blogs to increase from 10 to 25?

1. Yes (8 votes [53.33%])

Percentage of vote: 53.33%

2. No (7 votes [46.67%])

Percentage of vote: 46.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 01 March 2006 - 04:31 PM

I would like to see the limit of smilies in blogs to increase! :D I think it would be better and easier for people to express there opinions and point of view easier! :thumbsup:

Many people even hit the limit here on the board, and I could see why a limit of 10 is needed on the forums, but why a limit on the blogs? So members don't post blog entries with nothing but smilies, however, I think we could raise the limit in the blogs.

What do you think?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2006 - 09:19 PM

Too bad you didn't ask whether they should be eliminated!
I find that one can express oneself much better, and more clearly, using plain old-fashioned WORDS. This holds even more true for blogs, which are supposed to be web logs, and not pictograms, cave wall paintings, or art forums.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2006 - 09:34 PM

Oh come one John. :flowers: You know you love smilies! :trumpet:

Most people use smilies in there blogs! B)

And I know a few people here that will support me. :inlove:

Sometimes people just can't find the words to express the way they are feeling so they must use smilies!

Or maybe you have an :) (idea) and you just can't find the words to explain it or you have trouble explaining yourself. I know I do! :P

So for all of you who want the smilies increased, click strong and vote YES! :cool:

:thumbsup:

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2006 - 09:48 PM

Sometimes people just can't find the words to express the way they are feeling so they must use smilies!

That is what on-line dictionaries and a good thesaurus is for. And if you have an idea, and connot express it in words, then you don't have an idea after all. An idea must be, in a very real sense, your own, and a smiley is anything but that; but force yourself to put it into words, and it becomes a mental possession that you can share with others.
Cheers,
John

Edited by jgweed, 01 March 2006 - 09:50 PM.

#5 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2006 - 10:01 PM

Ok...

Way to shoot down my cool idea John... :thumbsup:

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,717 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2006 - 10:46 AM

Its not going to happen for a few reasons. One its a waste of bandwidth. Two it clutters peoples screen and can be found to be annoying. Three it will be abused..sorry :thumbsup:

#7 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 02 March 2006 - 12:00 PM

Ya know, yano, if you want more smilies, why not Google "Smilies" or "Emoticons" and find a place offsite to get them from? Some sites let forum members (not owners :thumbsup: ) direct-link to their smilies!! That way, BC's bandwidth will be spared, and you can post more smilies!

While I do like smilies (sorry, john), I like them in moderation!!! While I do use smilies on my blog, I have recently found myself getting rid of some smilies because I thought that I was committing murder with that many smilies!!! Now, I try only to use them when I am extremly emotional (and don't want a bad word slipping out!) or when I want to break up the buckets of text I write on my blog :flowers: . I kinda agree with Grinler; too many can be overkill.

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2006 - 01:09 PM

And actually, you can just as easily, Yano, employ an occasional boldface, italic, or underline to emphasize something, or use quotation or question marks to great effect. I don't remember Shakespeare, Tennyson, or Dickens using Smilies, but somehow they certainly got their ideas across; nor, for another matter, does Wilde use LOLs in his comedies, or Sophokles make Oedipus say WTF? when he learnes he married his mother.
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 02 March 2006 - 01:11 PM.

#9 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2006 - 04:50 PM

Its not going to happen for a few reasons. One its a waste of bandwidth. Two it clutters peoples screen and can be found to be annoying. Three it will be abused..sorry :thumbsup:

Understandable. :flowers:

#10 Dollyeyes

Dollyeyes

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 05 March 2006 - 11:56 AM

:inlove: bet my blog annoys then...oops...!!

Member of the Save the Smiley Club.... :thumbsup: :flowers: Im with you Yano...bring em on...its good to smile...no..really..it is... :trumpet:

Ps and its ridiculous..and i like ridiculousness..sss
Posted Image
Of all the things Ive lost...I miss my mind the most!

#11 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 06 March 2006 - 02:04 PM

John, I disagree! :thumbsup:

Smiles have many useful application. You can use them to take the sting out of a sentence for example.

No matter how vigorously you use bold, italics, underline, or even flowery prose, will it make up for the 70% of non-verbal communication you loose when you limit yourself to merely words. That is not to say that simleys should be a alternative to well-written english but a complement.

You're making it very hard on us non-english speakers. For communications like you describe requires that both you and you're readership has a very good grasp of english and the same cultural background. What about simple, dumb, dyslectic, know-nothings like myself, whose command of english is limited to a few years of school and what I've managed to pick up on the side? Bleeping Computer is supposed to be a international site after all.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#12 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 06 March 2006 - 04:59 PM

Your still learning English, Mr Alpha? You have my deepest sympathies :thumbsup: ; English, compared to other languages, is hard to learn!!! (and it doesn't help that some of our grammer rules make no sense! :flowers: )

#13 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 06 March 2006 - 05:11 PM

I try as hard as possible to not use smilies but sometimes i feel compelled to do so. There's nothing worse than reading text that has hundreds of smilies and i agree with John in the way that expressing yourself is much better than using a dictionary - i'm a big fan of good use of language.

However, sometimes it's very hard to convey an emotion or message over the internet without it looking sarcastic. Let me give an example. If someone told a great joke and i replied:

That's funny. --> It could be taken as being sarcastic.

But if i replied -

That's funny :thumbsup: --> You know for sure the user has just split his sides laughing.

I like debating!
David

#14 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2006 - 05:45 PM

Yes. I'd have to agree somewhat to what has been said recently.

Also about the smilies, I think most people tend to overlook the fact of how often they use them.... Happy Birthday! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users