Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Router, Uberslow download speed

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 R0D3R1CK

R0D3R1CK

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:56 PM

I just set up my new Cisco E1200 router (N-band). My desktop computer is hard-wired to the router and, according to the setup software the router came with, is achieving download speeds of ~25Mbps. On this computer, the results of Speakeasy.net are the same as the Cisco software.

However...
On my laptop (with wireless connection), Speakeasy.net consistently gives me results of approx. 0.5 Mbps. The upload speed for both computers are approximately the same: ~3.5 Mbps. I don't have the Cisco software installed on this computer

Why is this happening and what can be done to fix it? With my old router, G-band, I was getting around 20Mbps wirelessly...now I can't even stream a youtube video without letting it buffer first.

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:15 PM

Try changing the wireless channel of your new router. Something may be interfering with it.

To do this navigate to the router's control panel (default is http://192.168.1.1/ - username is "admin" (without quotes) and default password is either left blank or "admin" aswell).

Once there, navigate to "Wireless" and "Wireless Settings". You should see a place to change the channel on that page. I recommend staying in the 9-11 range as 1-6 are normally the congested channels since many routers default to these.

#3 R0D3R1CK

R0D3R1CK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:24 PM

I changed it to 10 and there's no difference. It's definitely a wireless issue, though; I tried a wired connection and got results silimar to the ones on my desktop.

#4 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:37 PM

Try updating the firmware on the router.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/8756

You can get the E1200 firmware from here: http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/support/routers/E1200

If that doesn't work, check your laptop's wireless card and confirm it is running the latest version. You can also try toggling from wireless N (or mixed mode) to Wireless G and vice-versa.

Edited by NpaMA, 08 June 2012 - 03:43 PM.

#5 R0D3R1CK

R0D3R1CK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:41 PM

The update consistently failed, so i rest the router...now I'll move back to renaming it, etc...thankfully its easy.

EDIT: reset, instead of rest

Edited by R0D3R1CK, 08 June 2012 - 04:47 PM.

#6 R0D3R1CK

R0D3R1CK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:11 PM

I put it in Mode G-only and channel 10...got wireless DL speeds of ~20Mbps. Decent.
Then I put it back into Mixed and got DL of 0.7Mbps.

I just don't understand what's causing this; my laptop's network card thingy says Broadcom 4313 802.11 g/b/n.

I've tried different settings with the card and it's quite apparent that the router is using IPv4 for internet...

How would I determine if my wireless card is up-to-date?

(thanks for all the help, by the way)

#7 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:08 PM

I just googled your WiFi card: https://www.google.com/search?q=Broadcom+4313&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=rcs

The first page is filled with problems exactly the same as yours. "Wireless Speed Issues", "Problem Connecting to Wireless N", etc.

What brand and model laptop is this? You can check the support site for driver downloads.

#8 R0D3R1CK

R0D3R1CK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:45 PM

HP Pavilion dm4

I'll go look at the hp site.

-------------

Someone I live with has a Macbook Pro and they have the same problem when I switch to Mixed Mode.
According to an Apple Store rep, Macbooks have wifi capability built-in...no wifi card.

I have contacted Cisco and they couldn't solve it, either. They told me someone from their Management Team would contact me.

I'm completely confused by all of this...

#9 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:08 AM

Other then what I stated above, I have no idea what it could be other then just a faulty router. Especially considering the firmware update failed.

I've had multiple bad experiences with Cisco's support, so it may be better to return it to the store you bought it (if they offer a return period) and try a different model or even a different brand completely.

#10 R0D3R1CK

R0D3R1CK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:27 AM

Yikes...I'll consider it, though.

For the time being, I'll just keep it on G. (let me know if this presents any known issues)

Thanks for all your help! :clapping:

#11 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2012 - 05:06 PM

Staying on G should work fine for you. The real difference is the speed. The max speeds for wireless G is 54mbps, and wireless N is 300mbps. In the real world, thats 20mbps for G and 100mbps for N. Aslong as you don't need faster than those numbers, you should be OK.

Maybe you'll have a better experience with Cisco/Linksys support. Cisco does make some good quality products, it's just if you ever get a faulty router, they're a nightmare to work with.

Edited by NpaMA, 09 June 2012 - 05:07 PM.

#12 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:05 AM

Instead of having it on mixed mode is there an option to have 802.11N exclusively ?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#13 R0D3R1CK

R0D3R1CK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:56 AM

On N-only, I achieved 0.42Mbps Down and 3.67Mbps up. Though I'm starting to wonder if maybe the site (http://www.megapath.com/speedtestplus/) skews it a little; it doesn't seem to be that slow. Granted, it's certainly nowhere near the 20Mbps I get on G

#14 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:56 AM

Still seems a little off. As mentioned above there seems to be an ongoing problem with these routers. <_<
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#15 R0D3R1CK

R0D3R1CK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:37 AM

@Sneakycyber: are you referring to this...

I just googled your WiFi card: https://www.google.com/search?q=Broadcom+4313&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=rcs

The first page is filled with problems exactly the same as yours. "Wireless Speed Issues", "Problem Connecting to Wireless N", etc.

NpaMa was talking about my network card. But you've heard that this line of routers is problematic? (please elaborate)

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users