Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP home slow after hooking to internet....

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dr12volt1338

Dr12volt1338

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:51 AM

I have an HP a700n that I use as my cutting machine. I purchased this machine used for $35 and did a full wipe and reinstall of Xp Home... It ran great for 3 months until I decided to put a wireless card in and hook it up to the internet.... It seemed ok for a day or 2 but then the updates started pouring in. I let a few install here and there but became tired of the constant restarts... After a few days the entire system began to run very slow... Took longer for my design programs to perform certain operations and just general computing was slower... My question is... Is it possible that Microsoft has put some update out that slows XP units? I have a Windows 7 machine hooked to the same access point and have no issues at all...

The specs on the cutting machine with the issues are as follow......

AMD Athlon XP 3000+ 2.1 GHZ Processor
1GB Ram
80GB Hard Driver 30GB used
Avast Free (Ran full scan after problem arose.)
CCleaner ( I am not fond of this but everyone seems to like it so I did run it...)

Windows XP Home Version 2002 SP3 (I had downloaded SP2 and SP3 to a flash drive and installed prior to hooking this machine to the net as 1 of my design programs requires SP3.)
The Wireless card I installed was a cheap chinese one it is NOT USB and it seemed fine until I allowed the updates to start installing... I did shut them off with a long list still needing download and install.

Edited by Dr12volt1338, 08 June 2012 - 09:52 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:02 PM

You are running a system with 1GB of RAM...I suggest trying to go up to 2GB.

There is no Windows system...that performs as well after installation of updates, programs...as it did before. No more so than a person can run or jump faster/higher...after someone adds 5-pound weights on each leg.

The only possible exception to that just might be a multicore system that runs programs that are hyperthreaded for optimal use with the system, IMO.

It's certinly up to a user...how meaningful system security is for her/him...but I would not advise a person who doesn't want to install critical security updates...to establish Internet connectivity, considering the plethora of malware which exists solely to disrupt system functionality.

Louis

#3 Dr12volt1338

Dr12volt1338
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:12 PM

I appreciate the response... Unfortunately the system maxes out at 1GB.... I am considering a new MB which allows for more.... I had 512MB in when this all started and I added another stick with little difference.... I guess it is just time to upgrade to a new system with WIN7 I guess....

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:12 PM

Well...considering the money involved in choosing between a new system (with warranty for components) and patching up an old system...I'd suggest a newer system if you can afford such.

RAM is faster and cheaper today...CPUs are much faster...all components considerably higher in quality than those in that system. You can reuse the hard drive as a backup or spare drive for data storage. Win 7, IMO, is a better O/S than XP (I dual-boot) and that does not mean that XP is bad, just somewhat outdated (we are a long way from 2001).

Louis

#5 Dr12volt1338

Dr12volt1338
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:24 PM

I am looking at building another set up.... I think after 6 years its time I have 1 system that can handle the design programs and have serial connections for my machines..... This machine has served me very very very well for the $50 I have invested in it... It will make a great machine for the kid to play games and do home work on in the next few years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users