Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Defender

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lulubelle

lulubelle

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 01 March 2006 - 02:54 PM

[size=7]Hi everyone. I have just installed Windows Defender and I have had a few problems, to say the least! I have managed to sort out a few of them on my own, but there is one which is baffling me. When I run a scan WD finds the trojan BankerTX, I then click to remove this trojan and I get the message "removal successful". However when I re-scan the program flags BankerTX again. None of my other anti-spyware programs have found this trojan, I have Ad-aware, spybot and trojan remover. So I don't know if I have got this parasite or if Windows Defender is just "playing up".
It would be great if someone could tell me the aswer as it is really annoying me :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 01 March 2006 - 03:09 PM

hi lulubelle

I think it is important to stress that this Windows Defender is still in Beta mode, or in other words it hasn't yet been perfected. As with most other antispyware products there is always a problem of falsepositives - bsaically the program flags a file as being bad but it is actually just an orphaned entry or even a legitimate file.

I would imagine this is the case, but i have to ask if you are having any PC problems such as slow downs? Which other scanners are you using?

David

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2006 - 03:34 PM

As with all BETA releases, these are published so that the general public can help test the application and provide initial feedback. They should not be depended upon for mission critical uses (like keeping your computer secure). Until the product is at the final release stage, and even for some time thereafter, I would rely on proven applications like Spybot and Ad-AwareSE.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 lulubelle

lulubelle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2006 - 02:05 PM

Hi David The Trojanator and John,
Many thanks for your help, I have since found out that Microsoft know about this problem and are going to fix it when they do their monthly updates. This is the first time I have ever posted a question in a help group and I am pleasantly surprised at how easy it has been and how helpful people are.
Thanks again.

#5 lulubelle

lulubelle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2006 - 02:07 PM

Hi David The Trojanator and John,
Many thanks for your help, I have since found out that Microsoft know about this problem and are going to fix it when they do their monthly updates. This is the first time I have ever posted a question in a help group and I am pleasantly surprised at how easy it has been and how helpful people are.
Thanks again.

#6 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 02 March 2006 - 02:34 PM

Hi lulubelle

It is expected that updates will be released that will combat these various bugs - i imagine they will only release the program fully when they are sure that it is perfect. I'm glad you've recieved the help you wanted from your first Bleeping Computer posts. If you have any more problems don't hesitate to ask.

Good Luck,
David

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users