Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PCI-E making games work slower

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 TheHunter159

TheHunter159

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:56 AM

Hi there
First of all my PC specs are:
E6600 2.4Ghz dual core processor
4GB ram @ 667Mhz
GTS 250 1GB memory
HEC Cougar 550W (the orange one, if it matters)

Few days ago I found out I had no PCI-E connected to my graphics card, I found one in the box of the same PSU mentioned above and connected it.
Later on I wanted to try some games to see how my fps has improved, I tried: BF:Bad Company 2, Team Fortress 2, Battlefield 2, SWAT4.

Instead of having my fps increased I had it decreased by around 30%-50% at every game mentioned above.
A friend of mine told me he had this problem and told me I should close my PC, hold the power button and wait for it to turn on and turn off, do it around 5 times, then remove the PSU cable, redo it and then connect the cable again, repeat it 2 more times and start the computer normally, sadly my performance didn't improve for abit.

This pretty much frustrated me because people always say that PCI-E cables are giving more power to the graphics card & the games are working better because I always had this popup saying that my GPU isn't receiving enough power, therefore the performance will be lower, and finally when this popup is gone (after having this popup appearing every startup in the last 2 years) everything works worse instead of better.

I'll appreciate any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:13 AM

Have you tried updating the Drivers? You can download the latest drivers from Nvidia

Edited by Sneakycyber, 11 June 2012 - 10:14 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 TheHunter159

TheHunter159
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:54 PM

My drivers are already up to date.
I tried playing with the cable and connecting it to different power cables and it seems like it's back to the normal performance, but shouldn't the PCI-E cable help my performance?
I mean I always got this message saying that my GPU isn't receiving enough power and it will lower it's performance to make it safe to use, and now that this message is gone, my performance is still the same instead of getting better.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:53 PM

If the card has the connection, then it is required for the card to function properly. I'm not sure how the card even worked without it being connected. It is a slim possibility it got the required power from your motherboard and you haven't been maxing it out enough to require the additional power.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 11 June 2012 - 03:54 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

#5 TheHunter159

TheHunter159
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:09 AM

But after the performance was fixed when I switched some connections I didn't get any fps enhancement.
A friend of mine has the same computer as mine, we just have different motherboard and CPU, he has a E8400 dual core @ 3Ghz and I got a E6600 dual core @ 2.4Ghz
He runs most of the games in a higher resolution than me (1920x1200 while I run most of the games at 1680x1050) yet he gets more fps than I have, and he has higher quality too

for example, battlefield bad company 2:
my PC: running it on lowest 1680x1050 @ 30-40fps
his PC: running it on low-medium (textures and level of detail on medium) 1920x1200 @ 40+ fps

or Battlefield 3
my PC: running it on lowest 1280x800 @ less than 20 fps
his PC: running it on low (textures medium) 1680x1050 @ 40+ fps

We both have fps drops, but I am pretty sure that his CPU isn't strong enough to get his fps much high than mine, I mean does it make sense that additional 1.2Ghz do so much difference?

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:58 AM

An additional 1.2 Ghz can make a HUGE difference. Also the motherboard, the chip set, the drivers, memory, and if the game is online your internet connection and bandwidth will also affect frame rates.

Chad Mockensturm 

#7 TheHunter159

TheHunter159
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:48 AM

Are you sure? a total of 1.2Ghz can make so much difference? by quality and fps?
We got different motherboards, he has the same memory as I got, same drivers, the only difference he has 800hz and I got 667hz (ram of course)

Edited by TheHunter159, 13 June 2012 - 06:59 AM.

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:08 PM

I know the memory and processor speed Do make a difference in FPS. How much difference I am not completely qualified to answer yet so I will do some research. What processors are you using? Amd Black editions Intel Core i7,i5?

Edit: Are both the games configured exactly alike, The Anti-Aliasing (MSAA), Shadows, Undergrowth etc..

Edited by Sneakycyber, 13 June 2012 - 08:13 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users