Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

reading internal hard drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sniper8752

sniper8752

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:21 AM

I am trying to connect an internal hard drive to my laptop. when I plug in the cord from my laptop to the hard drive, the ACT light goes off. when i take it out, it turns on. the drive is not appearing in my computer. i have tried some other hard drives, and i was able to make one of them work (i believe that it was the master). Are there only certain types of drives that you can actually read off of?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:17 PM

I am afraid more information is needed.

Preferable would be make and model for the Laptop, the drive and the adapter (Cable) you are using to hook it up to the laptop. One point to remember is that any Internal Desktop drive needs a power supply for it to function. Internal laptop drives can often be powered from the USB port.

Thank You
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 sniper8752

sniper8752
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:35 PM

the computer i'm attaching it to is a dell 15r. the device that i am using is a vantec sata/ide to usb 2.0 adapter. i do have the data cable and the power supply cables plugged in properly. the one hard drive that is giving me issues is a seagate ST3660A

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:31 PM

Can you hear the drive spinning up? One way to tell is put your ear to the handle of a screwdriver and touch the blade to the drive. That also works to try and trace a noise source.

There should be a jumper location printed on the drives label since that seems to be an IDE.
You need either a master or single setting. Slave and CS most likely won't work.

Default for many drives was CS (Cable Select)

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users