Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Activation Issues

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 4on4off

4on4off

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:01 PM

hello,

I have been cleaning a pc in AII with Boopme and came up against something I have never seen before:

When I fired it up this morning a window popped saying that due to hardware changes I needed to reactive windows. The strange thing is that there have been no hardware changes, I mean I stuck another stick of ram in the tower about 6 months ago and this pc has been infected but appears clean at this point...not sure what is going on...

Here is a link to the thread: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic456091.html/page__pid__2723827#entry2723827

The other thing is that the sticker with the product key is half gone on the tower and the belarc profile I created is on the pc, which I cannot access at all via reg or safe mode.

Any ideas?

Edited by hamluis, 08 June 2012 - 06:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 4on4off

4on4off
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:17 AM

Well after doing a little more reading I read that changing things in bios might cause this. I did go into bios to try and change the boot order because it would always start up and say floppy failed or something like that.

Anyway, when I booted in safe mode the message to reactivate came back up but I caved and clicked yes and it boot up an normal in safe mode.

Then I restarted the machine and tried this in reg mode but when I click the yes when asked to reactivate now it just goes to the desktop image and nothing else???

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:48 AM

System manufacturer and model?

Activation issues are not uncommon.

You can use a tool like SIW Home Edition to find the key operative for that system, under the Licenses detail.

That failing, you can always use telephonic activation.

The fact that your boot order keeps changing in the BIOS...may be an indication that your CMOS battery is failing and needs to be replaced. Such failing might also account for the fact that you get messages about equipment changes.

Louis

#4 4on4off

4on4off
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:14 PM

Will that tool work without being able to log on to the machine?

#5 4on4off

4on4off
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:35 PM

it doesn't give me a number to call or anything just asks if I wish to reactivate now??

#6 4on4off

4on4off
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:48 PM

Well this time around when I clicked yes to activate it it said it was activated but then it disabled mse saying it the machine failed validation??

#7 4on4off

4on4off
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:57 PM

well not sure what that was all about but I uninstalled mse and reinstalled it. Appears to be working.

#8 4on4off

4on4off
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:57 PM

The fact that your boot order keeps changing in the BIOS...may be an indication that your CMOS battery is failing and needs to be replaced. Such failing might also account for the fact that you get messages about equipment changes.

Louis

I believe the battery is failing as the date usually reverts back to 2003 when it boots up after being down for some time. If I replace this battery are there any setting I should be keeping a record of to input or is there a default seeting that can be used?

Thanks for your help.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:06 PM

When you replace the battery and then boot the system...just go into the BIOS of your system.

First thing...reset the date and time to correct settings. If this isn't done, it will create problems with dates on files. Once that is done...there should be a setting on the main page that says something similar to "default settings".

Elect that, hit F10 to save the changes made to your settings. The system will reboot and the battery issue should be neutralized.

Louis

#10 4on4off

4on4off
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:07 PM

Ah, thank you.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:13 PM

You are welcome, happy computing :).

Louis

#12 4on4off

4on4off
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:18 PM

I replaced the battery and adjusted the date but I forgot to select default settings......I will see how that goes....It does say that new hardware was installed and request to either search for software or us installation cd but I never installed any new hardware so not sure about that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users