Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mssearchhnet.exe

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bstensland

bstensland

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 01 March 2006 - 01:47 PM

About 45 minutes ago, my computer became the proud sponsor of a couple of spy/mala ware programs, or viruses. I was able, using your help on a previously posted thread, to defeat the spy falcon problem. I also received the mssearchnet.exe, as an added wonderful bonus! I searched google to find a solution, and came up with this link. http://www.webuser.co.uk/forums/showthread...115/page/0/vc/1
I went to it, and read over the post from that user, and decided it was a good idea to use those repair options. My computer now does not remain on!! It reboots itself when I attempt to start, I get to the computer name screen (compaq), and then the Windows XP screen, it then sounds like my processor is getting into high gear, then the computer at that point reboots itself to the same point, infinity.
I attempted to start the pc in safe mode, I was able to get to the "advanced options" screen, and select "start windows in safe mode" function, at that point the computer rebooted itself, yet again.
This computer was a gift, and it did not come with a re-boot disc, and I'm in no way capable of purchasing a copy of the windows system disc.
I would try a reboot from the system recovery, but if there is a way I can fix this without losing valuable data that is stored on that computer, I'd gladly appreciate ANY help possible.
I'm really sorry I didn't come here first.
I would respond to that link above, but I'm leary about that site. You've helped me once, I hope you can help me again, without sounding TOO redundant.
Bstensland - new on the PC

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2006 - 01:54 PM

First: Make sure you are running in safe-mode while performing the fix. To do so: Upon bootup tap the F8 button and select safemode when prompted.

Second: Your computer may be overheating. Try opening up the case and cleaning it out using a can of compressed air. Also, check if the fans are working.

Edited by WlkingMan, 01 March 2006 - 01:54 PM.

“Technology does not drive change -- it enables change.”
-Unknown

"I'm a cannibal... I eat Crackers"

Hacker != Cracker

website is down until further notice. . . . 

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 01 March 2006 - 05:12 PM

It reboots itself when I attempt to start, I get to the computer name screen (compaq), and then the Windows XP screen, it then sounds like my processor is getting into high gear, then the computer at that point reboots itself to the same point, infinity.

There are a few causes for this behaviour, the easiest fix is just to do a repair install of windows. But before doing that, try this fix:

When you start your computer the Microsoft Windows XP Start up screen appears, and then the computer restarts. The Windows XP logon screen does not appear. This error can occur if the Kernel32.dll file is missing or damaged.

To resolve this issue, use the Windows Recovery Console to extract a new copy of the Kernel32.dll file from the original Windows XP CD. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Start the Recovery Console. If you do not have the Recovery Console installed, start it from the Windows XP CD. To do this, follow these steps:

a. Insert the Windows XP CD and restart the computer. If prompted, select any options required to boot from the CD.
b. When the text-based part of setup begins, follow the prompts: choose the repair or recover options by pressing R.
c. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot system, choose the installation that you need to access from the recovery console.
d. When prompted, type the Administrator password.

2. At the command prompt, type "cd system32" (without the quotes) and then press ENTER.
3. Type "ren kernel32.dll kernel32.old" (without the quotes) and then press ENTER.
4. TYpe "map" (without the quotes) and then press ENTER.
5. Note the drive letter assigned to the CD-ROM drive that contains the Windows XP CD. It is displayed in a format similar to the following:

D: \Device\CdRom0

6. Type "expand <drive>\i386\kernel32.dl_" (without the quotes) (where <drive> is the drive letter of the CD-ROM drive that contains the Windows XP CD) and then press ENTER. For example:

Expand d:\i386\kernel32.dl_ <ENTER>

Note the underscore character after the "L" in Kernel32.dl_
The following message appears: Kernel32.dll, 1 files(s) expanded.
7. Type "exit" (Without the quotes). The computer restarts.
8. Remove the Windows XP CD and start the computer normally.

Let me know if that does not work, and I will post instructions how to do a repair installation of XP, if you need that info.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#4 bstensland

bstensland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2006 - 08:24 PM

The problem does not allow me to get past the safe mode either, Windows will NOT boot up...
I've started the computer cold on several occasions since the problem has started.
That is to "WlkingMan". Thanks for your input.

"To resolve this issue, use the Windows Recovery Console to extract a new copy of the Kernel32.dll file from the original Windows XP CD."
I do not have a Windows XP CD, nor can I afford it right now. Can you think of any other way that I can get into windows?
I simply cannot get past a second or two of the "Windows XP" screen.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2006 - 11:09 PM

What kind of computer (brand) and how old is it?

Some of the name brand computers have a restore feature accessed through the bios before Windows attempts to start which does the same thing a restore disk would do. Depending on what is listed it may give you a repair option as well as a destructive restore which sets it back to factory settings like it was when new.

If your computer has this feature, each is accessed slightly differently, but as you first turn the machine on it should tell you how to enter the bios settings.

Do so and see if the restore option is listed BEFORE going into any other bios adjustment screen.

Edited by Enthusiast, 01 March 2006 - 11:14 PM.

#6 bstensland

bstensland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2006 - 01:37 PM

Thank you enthusiast, I'm trying your ideas now. I've already just tried to do the ezboot, but that had no positive results. I'm writing this reply while the infected computer wipes itself out.
I always have wondered, what would cause people to be so malicious with each others toys. At least hackers, and virus creators, etc. create jobs for the people with the intelligence to work on computers.
If this doesn't work, I probably will not be coming back to the site for a response or a new question. The only other solution I have involves ball-peen hammers, and nitroglycerin. :thumbsup: Thank you for your help, and it is probably wrong for me to point this out, but whoever you guys are...you are really cool for making this site. I assume EVERYONE appreciates your help, and I know you guys don't get paid anything what you are worth. I wish I could donate and show my appreciation for your input, but alas I'm really poor, just full of appreciation for those who help others. THANK YOU!!

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2006 - 01:49 PM

As a last resort, a professional computer tech probably would not charge that much to reload your op system.

#8 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2006 - 01:53 PM

You're very welcome!

Most of us volenteer at this site as a hobby, and to help people such as yourself. It warms up my day when I think about how I managed to help someone, or tried to at least! When people such as yourself give a warming thanks it helps just as much.

Thanks for stopping by! I will look forward to helping you in the future, if ever you need it.

Regards,
WlkingMan

“Technology does not drive change -- it enables change.”
-Unknown

"I'm a cannibal... I eat Crackers"

Hacker != Cracker

website is down until further notice. . . . 

#9 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 02 March 2006 - 02:45 PM

I wish I could donate and show my appreciation for your input,

You just did! Thanks!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users