Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unique Trojan.ZeroAccess.B problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 CnidaraRex

CnidaraRex

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 07 June 2012 - 02:25 PM

Hey guys. This is my first post on this fantastic website! I hope it is in the right place.

Anyway, I had a laptop infected with Trojan.ZeroAccess.B which, for an unrelated reason (I think), became unable to receive power or charge the battery. I now have a new laptop and an external hard drive enclosure, and I'd like to recover some of my old documents and, if possible, applications. Is there a way to do this without infecting my new computer? Since I can't boot from the old hard drive (driver issues and whatnot), I assume I can't go in there and remove the malware using the complicated procedure I have read about in other threads. I'm pretty computer illiterate though, so please bear with me.

Both computers are running Windows 7 64-bit. The new one is currently equipped with McAfee Antivirus Plus, which it came with.

I will really appreciate any time you folks can spare to pointing me in the right direction.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 07 June 2012 - 02:59 PM

Install Panda USB Vaccine, or BitDefender’s USB Immunizer on GOOD computer to protect it from any infected USB device.
Then you should be OK to connect hard drive enclosure.
Scan all files you want to move with your AV program.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 CnidaraRex

CnidaraRex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:03 PM

Awesome! Thank you!

I really appreciate your help, and I will be sure to try it. I'm going to stay on the safe (maybe paranoid) side though and wait hopefully for a second opinion, just to ensure that this is all I need to keep my new computer safe. This is a really nasty trojan, from what I've read, and I'd hate to have to go deal with it again.

#4 CnidaraRex

CnidaraRex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:51 PM

On the second read-through I'm not sure this is exactly what I need, Broni. I'm not even sure there will be an autorun feature for my old hard drive. I'm more concerned about my old documents being infected. I think this virus only goes after Windows system files, but I fear it might still be transferred via any of my other files.

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:13 PM

Virus can infect any file.

I'm not even sure there will be an autorun feature for my old hard drive

I'm not sure what you're saying.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 CnidaraRex

CnidaraRex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:42 PM

The websites for those program say that they work by disabling the autorun feature on flash drives and other media, which is what is commonly affected by some viruses. I think it's a *.inf file or something. However, I don't think there will be an autorun thing for the old hard drive when I plug it in, and even if there were, I don't think that is what is infected, which means those programs you suggest probably won't help me.

Are there any other options I could try? Or is there any standard behavior for trojan or rootkit type viruses that someone could inform me of?

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:50 PM

Installing such program won't hurt.
Better safe than sorry.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#8 CnidaraRex

CnidaraRex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:23 PM

Ok then. Are there any other options that I can do in addition to this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users