Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Opinions on a refurbed desktop for an elderly grandmother

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 monicafaye

monicafaye

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 07 June 2012 - 02:14 PM

Would a refurbished Dell with Intel Pentium 4, 3.4 GHz, 2 gb RAM, 80 GB HD, cd-rw/dvd drive, and Windows 7 Home Premium be an inexpensive good choice for an 80 year old grandmother that mainly surfs the web? Thanks for any opinions.

Would this be much faster? eMachines EL1852G-52W Desktop PC Pentium E5800(3.20GHz) 3GB 1TB HDD Capacity Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit for $230.00?

Edited by monicafaye, 07 June 2012 - 09:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:43 PM

If it runs good, comes with the Windows 7 Disk and product key, Originals not copies of course, then for surfing the Internet why not. She probably has more patience than you or I too. Make sure to have an antivirus too.

Just make a complete backup in case of problems. If you are buying from an individual I would also just to be sure have it checked in our virus section to be sure it is clean in case your grandmother wants to do anything financial on it.

And what model?
One other question define inexpensive. $150 US?

Cheers
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 monicafaye

monicafaye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:11 PM

If it runs good, comes with the Windows 7 Disk and product key, Originals not copies of course, then for surfing the Internet why not. She probably has more patience than you or I too. Make sure to have an antivirus too.

Just make a complete backup in case of problems. If you are buying from an individual I would also just to be sure have it checked in our virus section to be sure it is clean in case your grandmother wants to do anything financial on it.

And what model?
One other question define inexpensive. $150 US?

Cheers
Roger

Dell Optiplex. $140.00

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:22 AM

Optiplex is a business model. Some of the really small form factors are at the age where they have to have bad capacitors replaced. For example the sx280, newer model are probably fine.
SX models are really small, the GX models are somewhat bigger to full size.

Thus what model of Optiplex?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 monicafaye

monicafaye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:56 PM

Optiplex 620

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2012 - 02:00 PM

OK, those are a decent model. I would want the Dell Disks that shipped with it.
I'm pretty sure it also shipped with Windows XP, I would want the Windows 7 DVD and License (Certificate of Authenticity) at a minimum.

One other thing is it going to be needing a dial up modem?

Just remember one thing if you buy something for someone be ready to be the tech support.
Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 09 June 2012 - 02:01 PM.

167 @ June 2015

#7 monicafaye

monicafaye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2012 - 02:44 PM

Thanks so much!

0 user(s) are reading this topic