Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Flash Drive and CHK files

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 R0D3R1CK

R0D3R1CK

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:09 PM

I'm cleaning off one of my flash drives (PNY Attache 8GB, FAT32) and noticed that - after removing all the files - Windows Explorer still said that .09GB are still in use. Clicking on the drive to view it's contents showed nothing, so I searched "*" (asterisk) and 387 CHK files showed up. A while ago, whenever I would plug this FD into my old computer (Vista), I would get the "blue screen of death". This no longer happens. Is this why these files are on my drive?

1. What are they and why are they there?
2. Do I need them? (Can I get rid of them?)

My initial plan was to get everything I want off of the drive and then reformat it to completely clean it...I want to use it for backups and this would, of course, help keep the drive organized. Should I just continue with the reformatting?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Larry D. Lawrence II

Larry D. Lawrence II

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:32 PM

Whenever you run a disk scan and repair tool, such as ScanDisk or ChkDsk (depending on your operating system), the default action when finding errors on the hard disk (such as invalid clusters) is to save the affected files as a .CHK file, thus "repairing" the error.

The next question that follows is if these .CHK files can be deleted. If you wish, the files probably can be safely deleted without any problems (use your discretion). You, however, may want to first examine these files with a file hex editor (if you have such a program), checking to see if there is any data contained in the .CHK files that you would like to recover.
Larry D. Lawrence II
MCSE, MCP,ACMT, ACTC
Dell, HP, Toshiba, Apple, Lenovo, and IBM Certified Technician

#3 R0D3R1CK

R0D3R1CK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:15 PM

Strange...I've never used a disk scan/repair tool.

I did reformat the flash drive. Everything seems ok.

Thanks for the info!

#4 Larry D. Lawrence II

Larry D. Lawrence II

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:29 PM

No Problem glad to help
Larry D. Lawrence II
MCSE, MCP,ACMT, ACTC
Dell, HP, Toshiba, Apple, Lenovo, and IBM Certified Technician