Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avant Browser

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 i.hate.open.cloud

i.hate.open.cloud

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:44 AM

Good day, all. I am interested in installing Avant as a second browser, but having never done such a thing, I have some basic questions. I run Windows 7 and use Internet Explorer 8, which I am happy with and accustomed to, but I've noticed that one of the message board sites I frequent doesn't play nice with IE and is barely functional, but works just fine when I view it in Chrome on a computer at work. I'm adverse to installing Chrome and/or Firefox, but someone recommended Avant and after looking into it, I would like to install it, but keep IE as my default browser and basically only have Avant active when I specifically open it, as I just want to use it for one site.

I'm assuming that installing won't affect IE, but if someone could confirm that, I would be grateful. Also, how "invasive" is Avant? Will it open on its own? Is there anything else that I might want to know about?

Any input that you can give me would be appreciated. I know just enough to break everything, so I thought I'd ask some more knowledgeable folks before making any changes. Thanks for your time.

-James

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:32 PM

I currently have four browsers and only one as my default. However none of the four are Avant. Personally it's not my cup of tea, so to speak. I tried a few years ago but didn't adapt to it. However there is nothing wrong with it.

The newest version of Avant comes in two 'flavors' Ultimate which has two rendering engines Trident and Gecko. Trident is the same type as IE and Gecko is the same as Mozilla/Firefox's. With the Ultimate version you can switch back and forth. The second 'flavor' is 'Lite' which has just the original rendering engine based on Trident. Which was how Avant browser started in 2004.

As long as you don't make it your default browser it will sit there quietly till you manually open it. You could even have both browsers open at the same time if you felt like it, or needed to.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 i.hate.open.cloud

i.hate.open.cloud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:07 AM

Thank you, Animal. I think you're convered my questions pretty well.

-James

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:24 PM

You're quite welcome. I'll do my best to answer any other questions you might have later about this browser. Just post them in this topic.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users