Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Codec-V and IE - and any other browsers for that matter!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MarcusW

MarcusW

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:45 AM

Hello you lovely people, it's me again.

I have a tendency to watch videos online - nothing of a less than legitimate nature I assure you(!) - BUT, there have been times when I've attempted to watch a video on my Windows 7 laptop, and before the video will play, this message is splashed across the embedded flash player that I need Codec-V to watch it. Now, what the heck is it, and why do I need it when I've already got stacks of codecs for the job as it is?
Also, and this is something of a niggling issue with me (until I just uninstalled it cause it getting right on my nerves), in IE9 (which keeps freezing for some reason), and in Chrome, my OS kept having this message pop up saying that codec-v.exe needed to run would I like the program to make changes to my computer. I click on the button to have it refrain from warning me about it, and then click on deny (my favorite button in this case), but minutes later, it does it again!

So...
Do we know exactly what purpose that program serves and is it REALLY necessary? PLUS, why the heck does my IE keep freezing on me?
I do also occasionally get other programs randomly hang, but not crash. It's annoying. Windows Explorer does it from time to time as well.
Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:56 PM

codec-v.exe could possibly be malware. Find the file and have it scanned by uploading it to jotti http://virusscan.jotti.org/
Save the log, then copy/paste it back here.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 MarcusW

MarcusW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:51 AM

Ah blast. I uninstalled it before I got a reply. That said, my system seemed to be running fine when it was installed (I did develop some problems with Java though but that was solved and appears to be unrelated to this), and appears to be running fine now as well.
I'm tempted to download it again just to find out if it is malware but I think that would be counterproductive lol.
Thanks for the reply though Jacee. It was because I suspected it wasn't serving any great purpose that I thought it might be malware though no scans on it showed it as being such (not through jotti though), so it was removed.

#4 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:44 PM

You might want to see if Shark007's codecs work http://shark007.net/win7codecs.html
Also, make sure you are up to date with Java (always uninstall old/previous Java) and Adobe Flash!!

I don't think I would trust any video that says you need to update to a 'certain' codec or flash player. Be on the safe side :thumbup2:

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users