Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hi and Help Please from new Member

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mabeagle2

mabeagle2

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:05 AM

Could someone help me? For one thing, I found a file under "Common Files" in my Explorer called "AVG Secure Search" which has several files under it, installed May 24 and one file called vToolbarUpdater updated today. I did not install or authorize the install of these things. I tried to delete it several times and kept getting a message saying "need permission" so I tried "take ownership" and tried going into security under properties to add permissions under "edit permissions". Nothing allows me to delete this folder so I am wondering if it is a virus or keylogger? Could someone please help me with this? If so, thank you! I do run Norton 360 firewall and antivirus but wonder if I picked up something unwanted.

Edited by hamluis, 17 June 2012 - 04:39 AM.
Moved from Vista to Am I Infected - Hanluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mabeagle2

mabeagle2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:22 AM

I managed to get rid of part of the AVG secure search file under "remove programs" as an uninstall but the vToolbarUpdater installed again by itself right after I removed the AVG file from "remove programs." After uninstalling the AVG file, I found the vToolbarUpdater listed again in the "AVG secure search" file in the explorer under "common files." I have had things like "mysearch" on my computer in the past, and tried to remove such things on my own. I am wondering if there could be a virus or trojan of some kind on my computer. Any help would be appreciated!

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:25 AM

Follow the directions in link below to get rid of the pesty AVG Search and updater.
AVG AVG Support and Discussion Forums
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 mabeagle2

mabeagle2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:08 AM

Thank you Buddy215 for your help. AVG seems to be gone now - I looked in Explorer and found "AVG Secure Search" folder under "Program Files, Common Files" and when I clicked on it, the Toolbarupdater showed up. I clicked delete on the Toolbarupdater, and it went to Recycle Bin, and then clicked on the AVG folder and deleted it as well. There are several other strange files I am finding on my computer that were created recently and I know I did not give permission or create them. Perhaps some day I will find an answer for whether my computer is clean or not. Thank you for your help!

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:20 AM

You can submit a file to be scanned by numerous security programs to one of the
sites listed below. You can scan your computer with the two security programs listed in the last two links.
All are free and used by the pros.
Happy to of helped.....

VirusTotal - Free Online Virus and Malware Scan
Jotti's malware scan

SUPERAntiSpyware.com - AntiAdware, AntiSpyware, AntiMalware!
Free ESET Online Antivirus Scanner
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 therockwall

therockwall

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:30 PM

MY advice - GET RID OF NORTON RIGHT NOW! norton sucks and doesnt work. get another AV like superantispyware with MBAM or something else but please don't use norton mate :D

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,869 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2012 - 04:38 AM

Just a comment...I feel that such is necessary here.

MY advice - GET RID OF NORTON RIGHT NOW! norton sucks and doesnt work. get another AV like superantispyware with MBAM or something else but please don't use norton mate :D

The weakest point of a computer system's security...is the user. Aa s product, most well-known AV programs do the job adequately...but they cannot protect a user against bad computer safety habits. IMO, the biggest reason users prefer one AV over another...has nothing to do with "effectiveness" since all the testing that I've seen doesn't really provide a clear delineation of "bad" AV programs...the biggest factor in choice tends to be user preference.

To assume, on any level, that simply changing the AV program used...will solve anything that is probably attributable to bad computer-safety habits...is a set of bad assumptions that are best left behind.

I am wondering if there could be a virus or trojan of some kind on my computer. Any help would be appreciated!

Moving topic to Am I Infected forum.

Louis

#8 mabeagle2

mabeagle2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:02 AM

Thank you therockwall for your advice on Norton. I did run SuperAntiSpyware to see if it would find anything - per advice from buddy215 (thank you Buddy). And hamluis - you mentioned "bad, bad, bad, bad" for instance, "bad computer safety habits" and you mentioned "user preference" being the main problem. If would have been more helpful to me (and others) if you would have been specific in what the "bad computer safety habits" are, or at least, what you think they are, rather than just citing bad habits, bad AV programs, etc. I came on here looking for help with good faith, and your type of answer does nothing but offend. You don't even know what the problem is - and if my problem were actually bad computer safety habits, then I would thank you and learn much from the information if there was actually something in your post to help or point me the way. There in lies the problem with your answer, there really was no useful information, just pompous rhetoric. I also noticed you moved my topic to "Am I infected" - if it is only user error as you suggest, why would you do that? I put my request for help in the Vista category. Why? Because I have Vista.

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:03 AM

therockwall has some flawed advice in the above statement.

SuperAntiSpyware is NOT an antivirus. If anyone installs SAS thinking it is he/she will be without AV protection.

As for Norton, if you like it and it works for you keep it. Many people use it and it works well for them.

#10 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,959 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:19 AM

@ mabeagle2

To clarify: most of hamluis's reply was in response to therockwall's statement and was not specifically addressed to you.

The topic was moved to Am I Infected because of your concern that your computer may be infected. That concern was expressed in several of your posts in this topic.

Given this concern, please do the following:

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.

Note: It is not necessary to purchase MBAM though you may wish to in order to have the real-time scanning aspect of it. Once the "trial" period is over, the real-time scanning will discontinue. You can keep MBAM as an on-demand scanner and update it manually each time you use it.

MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
    For instructions with screenshots, please refer to the How to use Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Guide.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
  • Exit MBAM when done.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so MBAM can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.
Please post the MBAM log in your next reply. Also, please post the SuperAntiSpyware log that was generated when you ran it and include an updated description of your computer problems and concerns.

If you HAVE removed Norton, you are without both firewall and AV protection. You need to have both these. So, either reinstall Norton or get another AV and Firewall. If you need suggestions, please ask. Some people find Norton to be a problem because it uses a lot of memory or because it conflicts with other software on their system. The same can be said for other AV products. I had Norton for several years and found it to be a perfectly fine AV product.

Orange Blossom :cherry:

Edited by Orange Blossom, 18 June 2012 - 11:25 AM.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users