Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Overheating

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Khellendros

Khellendros

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:42 PM

For a couple of months now I've been having this annoying issue where my monitors seem to restart every 15 minutes or so when I'm playing a high performance game. They come back on within a matter of seconds, and it wasn't causing much of a problem, so I just ignored it.

Unfortunately, ever since getting Diablo III the rate it is doing it has increased dramatically when playing that. After a week or so playing Diablo III even started crashing my computer sometimes. The monitors would just go random weird colors and the last two seconds of sound would repeat. It was completely locked up at this point and I had to do a hard restart every time.

Now that another week has passed, instead of doing this occasionally, it will crash within 30 minutes of playing it without fail.

Now other games that have ran fine in the past are even causing my computer to crash, but not in the same way. In one my monitors just seemed to lose connection to the computer completely and wouldn't reconnect. I had to hard restart then too. Another time I got a BSOD in the middle of the game.

I decided to check out my temperatures with HW Monitor, and it seems the problem isn't just my GPU. It's idling at 86c and jumping up to 110c when I play Diablo, which is beyond ridiculous apparently. Not only that though, my cores were at 92c when idle and go up to 120 when playing Diablo. I looked it up and those are never supposed to go above 67c for this processor... Plus my motherboard was at 97.

What gives? I checked the fans and they were both running perfectly fine with no dust in them or anything.

I tried removing my cover and putting this ginormous box fan bigger than the computer up against the side. It only lowered the temps on my CPU and MoBo by 20c and a measly 6c decrease on my GPU. This seems to have stopped the monitors losing power and going black as well as other games crashing, but Diablo is still causing the crashes.

Any ideas how I can lower my temps further or why they're so high? Am I going to need to buy a new PC? Sigh...

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Khellendros, 06 June 2012 - 09:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:25 AM

What CPU and GPU do you have?

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 Khellendros

Khellendros
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:01 AM

Ah, I set it all in my profile. I thought everyone could see that. I'll copy and paste.

Operating System:
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Computer:
iBuyPower Gamer Supreme 928i
CPU:
Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67 GHz
Motherboard:
MSI X58 Pro SLI (MS-7522)
Ram:
6GB DDR3
Storage:
1TB SATAII + 3 2TB WD Externals + 1TB WD External
Video Card:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285
Soundcard:
Integrated
Power Supply:
800W
Case:
PSI SILVER ARMORX Gaming Case

Oh, and is there any danger in using the box fan with the case open? I don't want to damage anything further.

Edited by Khellendros, 07 June 2012 - 04:03 AM.

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:54 AM

I would get a aftermarket cooler like this. In terms of the GPU running hot, you should try to increase the fan speed to 100% and see what the temperatures is but expect it to be loud.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users