Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer opens everything with wrong program

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 jaysnzees

jaysnzees

• Members
  • 310 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:44 PM

My son clicked on a desktop icon and it asked him to choose a program to open with. For some reason he chose "Note Worthy" a program helpful in writing music. So now EVERYTHING he tries to open on the desktop opens thru Note Worthy.
BTW...my daughter watched a movie thru zmovie.tv and like an idiot I tried as well. It asked me to download a codec and I did and still mo movie. I removed the toolbars that went along with that stupid download, but maybe THAT has sumpin' to do with my problem?

Edited by hamluis, 07 June 2012 - 03:56 PM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

What is thy bidding? My Master?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:04 PM

Website appears to be just another free movie site, IMO. No mention of malwaare using Google.

<<So now EVERYTHING he tries to open on the desktop opens thru Note Worthy.>>

Please...don't exaggerate :). There is no program that tries/can open every type of file. What file extensions exist on those files which Noteworthy now opens?

I would try to restore default associations via the BAT file mentioned/provided by Doug Knox Here .

Since you mention "virus"...did you run a scan of your system with your installed/updated AV program?

Louis

#3 jaysnzees

jaysnzees
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 310 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:42 AM

thank you for your prompt reply, louis. I was at work last night when he told me about this, and I put out the call to BC cause I realize that sometimes it takes a while to get a response.

When I look at my desktop, My computer, recycle bin a few folders and one picture all are normal. Microsoft FLight Simulator, Super AntiSpyware, Zune Google Earth, Firefow, ITunes, Malwarebytes Anto Malware, MacAfee Securty, MiniLyrics and NoteWorthy Composer 2 all have the same ICON as suggesting that they are to be opened by NoteWorthy Composer 2.

Almost everything that I can select to open when I go to Start and then Allprograms has the same things. They are trying to open through this Noteworthy Program.

I will see if I can figure out how to do what you suggested, I really have no idea how he did this.

#4 jaysnzees

jaysnzees
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 310 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:47 AM

I ended up downloading "xp_fileassoc.bat" so I go to Start, run and type CMD and it says Windows cannot open CMD.exe and tells me to select what program to open it with or choose from the list. I selected option three...write to Louis.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:09 AM

Try a system restore to a time just before your son did whatever he did.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:33 AM

If SR doesn't do the job...try uninstalling the Noteworthy program (via Add/Remove Programs), followed by a reboot of the system.

Louis

#7 jaysnzees

jaysnzees
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 310 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:07 AM

i tried a system restore, and I have tried to open the add remove program. everything that I attempt Windows cannot open this file and the file it shows is run32dll.

I don't know of any other way to do a system restore. I am thinking that when I get up (I am on nights this week and am going to sleep) I will restart in safe mode and try this steps. Or whatever else you all think I should try.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:59 AM

My next thought would be to eliminate the possibility of malware.

Although several users report similar problems and all sorts of "cures"...my feeling is that things like this don't just "happen". I like to eliminate the possibility of malware.

Louis

#9 jaysnzees

jaysnzees
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 310 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:39 PM

This is his son speaking a program opped up after my father downloaded the codec forthe zmovie.tv thing and it scanned and said there were 400 something infections and i knew it was a scam so i updated MBAM and ran the scan and it showed 17 infections i removed and it restarted and when i logged back in, the window popped up saying windows can not run this program. it does that when we try opening up MBAM.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:55 PM

Definitely malware...which we in this forum do not have the training/knowledge to deal with. I'll move this topic to what appears to be the appropriate forum for assisting you :).

Louis

#11 jaysnzees

jaysnzees
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 310 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:20 PM

Thank you Chief...I was thinking the same, but started in this forum because it sounded like an operator error.

#12 jaysnzees

jaysnzees
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 310 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:30 AM

what do I have to do? Have you moved this topic?

#13 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:06 PM

Please download exeHelper to your desktop.

http://www.raktor.net/exeHelper/exeHelper.com

Double-click on exeHelper.com to run the fix.

A black window should pop up, press any key to close once the fix is completed.

Let me know if you can launch applications now

#14 jaysnzees

jaysnzees
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 310 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:03 AM

I have download the file, and double clicked can the error message, "The publisher could not be verified Are you sure to want to run this program." Clicking run brings me the error message
"Windows cannot open this file...exeHelper.com" Then of course I have the option to select the program from a list or use the Web service to find the program

#15 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:23 AM

Download

Exe fix

Extract and launch the reg file,click YES

Let me know if that works

Can you launch applications in safemode with networking?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users