Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleted NDIS.sys file with Avast and now my start bar is missing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Miss Adie

Miss Adie

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:04 PM

I'm not sure if these two problems are related but I'm sensing it might be.

I was scanning my computer for viruses with Avast and it had detected NDIS.sys as a virus, I wanted to move it to the chest and it said it couldn't move it, so I selected 'Delete' instead. Now after reading numerous forums I should never have deleted the file but should have left it.

However, after I deleted the NDIS.sys file I rebooted the computer and now my start up menu won't show up and I can't access anything on my desktop. I also can't access my Internet due to the NDIS file being deleted. I decided to go into the dllcache folder and put the NDIS file back in the System32\Drivers folder. Hoping my Internet will work, but it still doesn't.

Since my computer won't let me go into the files I'm not quite sure what kind of system mine is. All I know is it is Windows XP Pentium 4, not sure if that helps at all!

But can anyone point me in the right direction from here?

Thanks a bunch.

Edited by hamluis, 11 June 2012 - 01:55 PM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dolby

Dolby

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:37 PM

I found this link online, see if you can do it
you can get command prompt with "windows" key + "r"

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/systemrestorecp.htm

#3 Dolby

Dolby

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:39 PM

sorry, I'm new too - then type "cmd" → enter

#4 Dolby

Dolby

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:42 PM

also, maybe safe mode isn't even necessary
if it were me I would probably try in
regular windows mode - good luck

#5 Miss Adie

Miss Adie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:53 PM

No, none of that worked guys. Thanks for the help though!

I definitely think it's a virus of some sort. I booted it up in safe mode and ran Anti-malware Bytes it found 3 new threats, I removed them but my start bar is still missing and now my desktop items are missing. But before they were not - only the start bar was missing.

#6 Dolby

Dolby

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:15 PM

http://superantispyware.com/
(free edition donload)
this tool has a panel for repairs that you should check out as well as scan with

http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=6088
another good tool as well
good luck

#7 Dolby

Dolby

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:22 PM

try this for desktop icons
RIGHT click desktop
mouseover "arrange icons"
look for "show desktop icons" & if it's not checked, check it, see if that brings 'em back

as for the taskbar & start button, I think superantispyware has a remedy for that - it might have a name regarding "explorer" not to be confused /w/ Internet explorer - you just have to check it out - good luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users