Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible hard drive problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Parker1028

Parker1028

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:36 PM

Posted this a minute ago but it seems to have disappeared.

Having some hard drive problems that at first I thought might be a virus but that seems to have been ruled out. See thread: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic456011.html

Lots of error messages popping up. On reboot, CHKDKS keeps deleting supposedly corrupt file record segments. I've gotten the Host Process for Windows Services Error Value C000009C Disc Type0 message. Windows just warned me that the hard drive is failing and I need to back it up. Tried to but I can't unclick the C drive in the choices and it won't backup a drive that has problems so the D drive can't be saved and that's where the backup is.

Just got a message to do a system restore to earlier today.

Not sure what to do here. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Edited by hamluis, 06 June 2012 - 03:49 PM.
Moved from Vista to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:09 PM

Hi Parker1028,

You need to copy any important files from the failing hard drive to a USB Flash drive or external hard drive, as soon as possible. I wouldn't worry about using Microsoft Backup at this point.

If that fails, you can always remove the system drive from the Dell XPS 420 and attach it to a different desktop, then attempt file recovery from there.

The third option would be to create a bootable Linux Live CD, boot from the ailing computer, and recover any important files to a USB Flash drive. I can provide specifics regarding this option if needed.

After backing up all necessary files, you could test your computer hardware using the built in Dell Diagnostics program at boot per Post #2 here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic455845.html

Regards,
Brooks

#3 Parker1028

Parker1028
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:18 PM

I have an external drive that I've been using as a backup so I'm pretty sure that everything that is vital has been saved. So this is looking like the hard drive is on the way out and not any other problem?

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:03 PM

You can double check that it is the drive.

Turn on or reboot the computer.
When the Dell Logo appears Start pressing F12
Boot Device selection menu

Then select Run Diagnostics
it will probably run a memory diagnostic and then prompt to continue memory testing or boot the diagnostic partition.
Boot the diagnostic partition and select custom
Then hard drive test
If that says it is failing or shows errors it is for sure that you need a new drive.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users