Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firewall blocking of ICMP activity

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 yabbadoo

yabbadoo

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:17 PM

I do not understand this ICMP activity being blocked by my Firewall on default. Perhaps some kind person conversant with this matter will respond and enlighten me.

My Firewall blocks these pulses by default. Although I can customize the settings and remove the blocking of ICMP traffic, since I regard my FW suppliers as knowing best, I see no reason to alter their settings. I have entered my IP as being "Trusted" in the hope that these pulses will stop being logged, but it has made no difference. They are blocked every few seconds, which makes an awful lot of FW event logs. They seem to be "Echo requests", which means nothing to me except it infers meaningless activity.

My settings are shown on the two screen shots : 1 - the settings table and 2 - the event log after a few minutes browser use.

1.Settings table :-
Posted Image

2. Event log :-
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:34 AM

As nobody has replied, I have in fact concluded that my firewall is doing what it should do and blocking ICMP signals in and out.

I still do not understand why a signal from my IP to my IP should be an event log, since my IP is designated as trusted on my firewall, but it does not matter too much, I can live with it.

Please consider this thread closed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users