Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No flopy drive

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Calvinder

Calvinder

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:31 PM

Hello I hope I posted on the correct forum and some one can help me.

I have a program that needs to be installed from a floppy drive but my pc dose not have one. It is simply a setup exe that needs to run from a floppy. I renamed a usb stick A: and it did not work. Is there a way to do this?

Calvin

Edited by hamluis, 09 June 2012 - 09:38 AM.
Moved from All Other Applications to External Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:44 PM

What is the application, and will it work on modern computers?

#3 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:02 PM

Renaming a usb flash drive to A: does not make sense (maybe it does to someone else?). Could you either:

*Transfer the information or files from the floppy disc to a usb flash drive using another computer, and then install from the usb flash drive,
OR
*Use an external floppy disc drive and run your installer file?

#4 Calvinder

Calvinder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:27 PM

The application is Mitchel on demand. A automotive repair manual program from my business. It was running on my old xp pro machine and now I have updated to win 7 ultimate 64bit. it will not run the older setup exe even if I change the compatibility. I am trying to install it on my lap top running win xp pro but do not have a floppy. I did try to copy it to a usb drive but it says it will only run from an A: I changed the usb drivedrive letter path name to a but still no luck.

When trying to install it says `setup disk is an invalid drive. Run set up from A: B: or E:. And also if I run it from my cd E: drive same thing.
Hope this helps
Calvin

Edited by Calvinder, 06 June 2012 - 02:31 PM.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:24 PM

Have you considered maybe repurchasing it?

#6 Calvinder

Calvinder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2012 - 05:06 PM

Yes but it is quite costly and I am now retired and living in Mexico. I only use it now and then for repairs on travelers rigs. I was wondering if I installed my old floppy drive in my new desk top pc and when networked I could access it and install on the lap top.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2012 - 05:40 PM

It is worth a shot, and have you thought about buying a USB Floppy Drive?

#8 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:12 PM

Some one else here had a similar problem a couple of years ago, in this Floppy Drive problem thread. Think the final solution was a combination of using an external usb floppy drive and assigning the drive letter A: to it via the "dos" "subst" command.

I've had to deal with the Mitchel crash book, had it installed for a while but I don't remember that it required a floppy drive.

#9 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:58 PM

My suggestion would be to get a USB External Floppy Drive for anywhere from $10.00 to $20.00 USD. Plug it in and assign it the A letter. No fuss no muss. That way it can be used with any USB compatible computer in the future as well.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users