Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SuperFetch Service won't Start

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 BRANE-WAVE

BRANE-WAVE

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:47 AM

Hi,

SuperFetch (SysMain) service stopped working. Everything on the computer runs slowly.

The service is configured to "Automatic" and telling the system to start/restart SuperFetch, results in no change.

I've checked to make sure that the SysMain.dll was present, which it is.

Any suggestions?

I'm working on a HP Pavilion Desktop, 3 MB RAM, Intel Core2 Quad Processor, 2 hard disks total capacity: 640GB, Windows VISTA Home Premium 32-bit SP2.

BRANE-WAVE

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:15 PM

See if this helps: http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/156744-superfetch-will-not-start-i-keep-getting-error-can-anyone-help.html

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:28 PM

Worth a look, IMO: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/superfetch-is-not-running-and-sysmain-service/0ad05c80-f65f-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5 .

Louis

#4 BRANE-WAVE

BRANE-WAVE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:52 PM

Allan & Hamluis, thank you for your quick responses.

Allan, I tried your suggestion, which looked very promising. I loaded the TweakPrefetch.exe program onto a USB stick (via my laptop) and tried to run it; it returned an application error message of "This application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135). Click on OK to terminate the application." I copied the program onto the hard drive and got the same error message.

Unfortunately, I am dealing with a very compromised computer. I can only boot via UBCD4Windows CD. It's rerouting all of my programs (that it allows to run) to work only on the Windows XP environment that it set up.

I'd look at your suggestion, hamluis, however, I don't believe that I can boot into "safe mode" then to the desktop and then perform a "clean boot." I'll read the Microsoft support articles and see what I can make of them.

I was hoping to deal with the SuperFetch issue separately from the boot issue, however, it appears that I'll need advice on how to deal with my boot issue first.

Any suggestions, if not how to deal with the boot problem (that I mentioned in the immediate prior post), then how to get around the recovery disk environment and run the programs I need...?

BRANE-WAVE

#5 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:54 PM

Try running Checkdisk from the recovery console.
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/termsc/p/chkdsk.htm

If you have ten dollars to spend then you can get a recovery disk for your machine.
http://systemdiscs.com/?utm_source=neosmart&utm_medium=redirect&utm_campaign=Torrent

#6 BRANE-WAVE

BRANE-WAVE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:36 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, AdequateInfirmity.

Unfortunately, when I found that I couldn't boot, I ended up running CheckDisk several times. It seemed to run through OK, but didn't fix anything per se.

When you mentioned running CheckDisk from the recovery console, it gave me the idea to check on what Command Prompt commands were available and if any of them would be of use. Unfortunately, as of now, I haven't found any that made a difference. Even the CD command, which switched me into my C: drive, didn't really help, since the programs I tried to run all reverted back to checking the rescue disk's Windows XP installation, rather than (the registry, for example, on) my VISTA OS.

Perhaps you could suggest other Recovery Console commands which might help...

A question: I do have the VISTA installation disk for my Gateway laptop--would that work on my HP Pavilion Desktop?

BRAINE-WAVE

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,112 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:19 AM

<<...since the programs I tried to run all reverted back to checking the rescue disk's Windows XP installation...>>

Are you saying that chkdsk from the XP Recovery Console...did not give you the option of selecting the Vista install? It did not recognize the Vista install as a Windows install?

I seldom run chkdsk /r from the XP Recovery Console (I dual-boot XP and Win 7) so I can't verify that it does see other Win installs which came later...but I have run chkdsk /r from within XP (command prompt) on my Win 7 install.

But..of course, it sees that Win 7 partition as a data partition and i'm unsure as to whether it can/will modify the non-XP registry. IMO, chkdsk /r is not the tool to use if modification of the registry is the goal.

If the RC doesn't give you the option of selecting your Vista partition as the install to be concerned with...I think you are out of luck in trying that route.

I cannot answer your question about using the Vista disk from another system manufacturer, since I don't know how those disks are put together. I don't have Vista but I have thought that there is no RC for Vista or Win 7.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/What-happened-to-the-Recovery-Console

<<Unfortunately, I am dealing with a very compromised computer.>>

If by that...you mean that the system is infected...then you really ought to deal with that issue in the proper malware forum, not the O/S forums. The malware forums use tools and techniques which will not be suggested/used in the O/S forums...to neutralize malware situations.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 08 June 2012 - 09:35 AM.

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:56 PM

Hi,

The first thing I would do is check the hardware. Run the hard drive test.

HP usually has a memory test and/or hard drive test in the Bios.

If you can't find that then run the Seagate drive test.
http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/
Page has a Seatools for Dos since windows does not run. That page has a downloadable link for a CDRom ISO that can be burned to run the test.

Before playing around with software it is important at this time to be sure the hard drive is not failing.

Please report back your results. Also that UBCD (XP) is not the best tool for working on Vista and of course since your are booting a separate windows You can not work on your Vista installation.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#9 BRANE-WAVE

BRANE-WAVE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:36 PM

Hi hamluis,

The computer first tries to boot into Vista and then shows the Windows Error Recovery screen with two options: 1) launch Startup Repair, or 2) launch Windows Normally. The default is Startup Repair, which starts with "Your computer was unable to start. Startup Repair is checking you system for problems..." SR then starts searching for problems. If it finds problems, it doesn't list them. When it says "Attempting repairs..." it has usually come to naught.

If I choose launch Windows Normally, it will attempt to start, then bring me to the Windows Error Recovery screen, or launch into... WAIT! STOP!

BULLETIN: New messages appear on the screen: Startup Repair message "Restart your computer to complete the repairs." That's the furthest I've gotten with Startup Repair to date. The caveat is "If repairs were successful, Windows will start correctly. If repairs were not successful, Startup Repair might run again to continue fixing your computer." At least it's giving me hope...

There is a place to "Click here for diagnostic and repair details." (That's another first.) Without going into all the details here are the results. This info is coming from a "Startup Repair diagnosis and repair log."

Last successful boot time: 6/3/2012 5:14:29 PM (GMT)
Number of repair attempts: 4

Session details:
System Disk = \Device\Harddisk0
Windows directory = C:\Windows
AutoChk Run = 0
Number of root causes = 1

Following that info is a whole list of tests performed--which I will not list, since the name of the test is followed by:

Completed successfully. Error code = 0x0

Now that's true until we get to this message:

Root cause found:
Unspecified changes to system configuration might have caused the problem.

Repair action: System Restore
Result: Failed. Error code = 0x490
Time taken = 0 ms

Repair action: System files integrity check and repair
Result: Completed Successfully. Error code = 0x0
Time taken = 511840 ms

This is followed immediately by:

Session details:
Windows Directory = C:\Windows
AutoChk Run = 1
Number of root causes =1

Again this is followed by a list of successfully completed tests, until this part:

Root cause found:
System volume on disk is corrupt.
Repair action: File system repair (chkdsk)
Result: Completed successfully. Error code = 0x0
Time taken = 0 ms

This is followed by the following:

Session Details:
Windows directory = C:\Windows
AutoChk Run = 0
Number of root causes = 1

This is followed by a whole list of tests that completed successfully.

I am now going to click Finish and will report to you what happens next.

BRANE-WAVE

#10 BRANE-WAVE

BRANE-WAVE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:18 PM

Hi Louis (hamluis) and Roger (Rotor123),

The computer is once again doing a (three stage) disk check. I don't see any bad file messages in the Verifying files stage (1). Nor do I see any unindexed entries in the verifying indexes stage (2). I don't see negative info in the last Security/Journal checks stage (3). No bad sectors reported.

The computer is once again trying to start. No dice. I get a couple of BDOD momentary flashes. Computer tries to reboot. Back to Windows Error Recovery screen. Two choices: Launch Startup Repair (Recommended) or Start Windows Normally. Back to square one. I'll go for the Startup Repair, since I know that starting windows normally will end in coming back to this screen anyway.

Roger, I'm fairly certain that I'm not dealing with a hardware issue.

Similar set of messages as before. I'll hit finish again. Same deal. Can't start Windows. Starts Disk Check--I opt out. Back to the Windows Error Recovery screen.

Now that you've seen the cycle, do you have any suggestions?

BTW, Louis, I've read that the repair disk has to be created on the computer on which it will be used.

Louis, I mentioned "compromised" in a more generic sense. Although, among the several dozen possible causes of the 80070005 error are these two: 1) a computer virus; or, 2) an anti-virus program. Go figure! In truth, I don't believe that the computer has a virus (although if that's what it will take to solve the problem, hey it's a virus--just kidding).

BTW, there does not appear to be a recovery console available, which forestalls my ability to use any of the recovery console commands.

BTW, I've just hit F11 which brings me into the Recovery Manager. In the Advanced Options section I have 5 choices: 1) Computer Checkup; 2) Microsoft Startup Repair Tool; 3) Microsoft System Restore; 4) File Backup Program; and 5) System Recovry. I've done the first three previously and I used the File Backup Program today to back my program, data, picture files, etc. from the C: Drive to the E: Drive.

I'll try Microsoft System Restore (Restore your system to an earlier date) again. The last few times I got the 80070005 error. If that doesn't work (and I don't get any other suggestions), I'll have to try the System Recovery option.

Wish me luck.

BRANE-WAVE

#11 BRANE-WAVE

BRANE-WAVE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:41 PM

Here's the result of the system restore (I had picked the first one on the list):

System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and settings were not changed.

Details:

System Restore failed due to an unspecified error.
The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002)

You might want to try System Restore again and choose a different restore point.

Well 0x80070002, that's a different number, for a change. Any ideas on how to straighten that one out?

I'll try another restore point, although experience has shown me that it will fail yet again.

OK, just came back with the same message. The first restore point was on 6/3/12, just prior to the system crashing. The second one I tried was a regularly scheduled system checkpoint on 5/23/12.

Again, thanks for any help you can give me to resolve this problem. I'm turning in for the night, and I hope to resume tomorrow morning...

BRANE-WAVE

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,112 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2012 - 06:31 AM

"System volume on disk is corrupt.
Repair action: File system repair (chkdsk)"

That means that you should try to run the chkdsk /r command. The chkdsk /r is a 5-stage process, whereas just letting the system run chkdsk at boot is a 3-stage process. Chkdsk /r is what you want to run and that is not guaranteed to be able to overcome whatever is wrong.

I suggest that you await further input from Roger :).

FWIW: Testing for Hardware Problems Using Hardware Diagnostic Tools (Windows Vista) - HP technical support (United Kingdom - English) - http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00849402&lc=en&cc=uk&dlc=en

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 14 June 2012 - 06:58 AM.

#13 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2012 - 10:08 AM

You should have the option after system repairs fails to go to advanced, from there you would want the command prompt.

Locate your hard drive by typing dir c: and see if it comes up. If not go to dir d: and so on until you hit the hard drive. I seem to remember that the command prompt opens at x: hence why you need to find you hard drive just to play safe. Then as Louis suggests run chkdsk d: /R where D: is the drive letter of the drive.

the chkdsk /f is where finding the drive letter of the largest partition is used to be sure you are running it on the actual windows partition. As well as the fact that the /r checks the drive but the implied /f will only be the drive letter you give it as I understand it.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 14 June 2012 - 12:30 PM.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#14 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2012 - 10:09 AM

There is no need to run chkdsk /f after you run chkdsk /r. The /r switch assumes the /f switch.

#15 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2012 - 11:04 AM

There is no need to run chkdsk /f after you run chkdsk /r. The /r switch assumes the /f switch.

Yes and no. In my experience sometimes you need to run chkdsk more than once. Ive run it several times in the past and run it again until it stops finding and fixing errors.
The chkdsk /f was for speed and to be sure that the first chkdsk /r run fixed everything. Your experience may have been different. The only way to know if it fixed everything is to run it again.

I tend to be cautious and like a double check.

Best Regards
Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users