Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Got a computer from work, need help getting it to work

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 InDrk

InDrk

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:57 AM

I was given a computer by my employers. It's an outdated model, and they were going to toss it, but my old one had recently broken, so they gave it to me. The problem is, it's still attached to their network, and I am blocked from getting admin rights on it. I've tried all of the standard ways to bypass this, DOS commands, the sticky keys trick, trying to enable the hidden admin account, ect, but they actually went through and blocked all of those as well. I was wondering if anyone could help me with this. I don't have anything important on here, so if the only way is to wipe the computer, I can do that, but I can't find my Windows 7 disk. If there isn't a way to get admin rights on the system as is, is there a way to wipe the system, but retain the OS that doesn't involve downloading programs to do it for me, or using the system restoration? They blocked that as well.

Thanks,

InDrk.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,381 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:39 PM

I believe that you need to wipe it or merely conduct a clean install of whatever O/S you intend to put on it.

When ownership transfers from the company to you...that license used by the company (if a volume license) becomes invalid, since it was issued to the company.

If that system has retail or OEM license for that particular system...then that can be transferred to you, along with the Windows disks.

If this is an OEM (HP, Dell, Lenovo, etc.) system, you could also contact the manufacturer about obtaining the appropriate recovery/restore-to-factory-defaults CDs/DVDs.

Louis

#3 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:51 AM

if you can boot from a cd or a usb stick you could use this tool to reset the admin account password.
http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

it will enable you to activate disabled accounts as well, so you can enable the administrator account in win7

you probably should wipe the computer before using it. if it have been in a domain it will have a lot of rules enforced that were set by the administrator in your company.

some brands have a recovery partition that you can restore the system back to the factory setting with. let us know your brand and model of computer and we might be able to help you out with that :)

hth!

TFN

#4 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:58 AM

A clean OS install would be the best choice I think - you can use Windows if you have the disc(or you can always get one) or just install Linux since that'll be free. :)
SYSTEM SPECS.
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 | Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz | 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz RAM | 488 GB WD SATA HDD | 1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 | No real-time antivirus | MBAM on-demand | Windows 7's Built-in Firewall |

#5 Chris Appleyard

Chris Appleyard

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:57 PM

Clean your Hardrive.. If the CD ROM will not start.. try to reset the BIOS,
Locate the CMOS battery and take it out for 10 seconds.. that should do the trick..
To clean the hardrive download this and put the ISO file on a CD ROM.. http://www.dban.org/ (Securely Deletes all data)

Thanks a lot!
Chris

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world"
-Nelson Mandela

Windows 7 Home Premium | AMD Athlon II 250 Dual Core CPU | 4.0 RAM Kingston | Nvidia GT 520 | Elite Group MCP61M-M3 Motherboard | COMODO Firewall | Avast! Free | Google Chrome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users