I've been struggling with what was a big problem, that has now become a huge problem.
For the past few weeks, I've been tinkering with Windows Update Error Code 80070005, using solutions that I've found on various web sites; all of which did not work. As of May 22nd, Belarc Advisor reported that the computer was missing 47 Microsoft Security Updates. Any attempt to access Microsoft Update, however, resulted in an 8007005 error. This issue has been ongoing for several months.
I decided to tackle it in earnest a week ago, after I tried to cut a Kaspersky Rescue Disk. I was shocked: the CD ran for a while and then aborted with a 80070005 error code! What in the world does a Windows Update code have to do with creating a Rescue Disk, I wondered. (Well, the best is yet to come.)
This is serious stuff. So, I decided to throw everything at the problem. I tried one solution after the next. Nothing helped. Finally, after making some suggested changes, I ran a program called UVK, with many of the "fix" boxes checked off. After it ran, I rebooted and rebooted; going from System Repair to ChkDsk and back. When I saw that I was going nowhere fast, I reluctantly tried doing a System Restore. Now here's the good part: after chugging for a bit, System Restore coughed up the infamous 80070005 error! I tried several restore points and got the same result. (I had been counting on being able to use those restore points in a situation like this.
Left with a non-booting computer, I burned a UBCD4Windows CD (on my laptop) and used that to boot up the computer. However, even though I can see what's on the hard disk, etc. (using xplorer2, for example), the Windows XP environment--set up by the UBCD4Windows CD--intercepts all of the utilites on the hard disk and doesn't allow them to run. What's worse is that the utilities that are bundled with the UBCD disk also don't work on my computer--they only examine the XP environment. CCleaner (even though I launched it from the hard disk), for example, defaults to an outdated, truncated version of CCleaner (located on the UBCD disk). And, when CCleaner checks the registry, it only checks the UBCD environment registry--which is of absolutely no help. Hoping to make an end-run around the problem, I loaded a batch of utilities onto a USB stick and ran a few, but I got the same result.
I need the expertise of the folks in this forum to help extricate me from this mess, one step at a time.
1) I need suggestions as to how to bypass the UBCD Windows XP environment (See separate posting made earlier today).
2) I need guidance as to which utility programs I should use to diagnose the problems that are preventing a normal boot--and how they should be used.
3) I need to be able to resolve the Windows Update issue.
4) I need to be able to restore SuperFetch (which seems to have been clobbered shortly after the Windows Update issue appeared)--because without it, everything runs very, very slowly. (See my separate posting earlier today.)
I've tried to separate out the issues and post them individually, as was suggested, however, it's clear that they are daisy-chained to, and stem from, the 80070005 Windows Update error problem.
My computer environment: HP Pavilion desktop, Intel Core2 Quad Processor, Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2, over 600GB disk space, 3MB RAM.
I hope someone has the expertise and the gumption to take these problems on.
Edited by hamluis, 06 June 2012 - 09:08 PM.
Edited font, size, merged topics - Hamluis