Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Troubleshooting from USB to C: Drive: How?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 BRANE-WAVE

BRANE-WAVE

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:44 AM

Hi,

While working on two problems (about which I will post separately), the computer became non-bootable. I cut a UBCD4 CD (which uses the Windows XP OS) and used it to boot the computer. The CD is bundled with several utilities that could be helpful--if only they wouldn't all direct themselves to trouble-shoot the processes, etc. that UBCD4 itself loaded into memory. Since UBCD4 is preventing me to using the utilities resident on my main disk (C:), I loaded a USB stick with lots of portable utilities--however, UBCD4 also diverts them to run on the UBCD4 CD programs, processes, etc. that it loaded. Even though I try to run my up-to-date programs (for example CCleaner), UBCD4 will automatically substitutes an older, limited-function version (with an older interface) of the program--which will not analyze my C: drive, or on my computer's registry. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to troubleshoot and clean up problems on my computer, if everything I try is intercepted by UBCD4's OS and programs.

I'm working on a HP Pavilion Desktop w/two hard drives (with lots of capacity) and 3 MB RAM. The computer has a 2.40 GHz Intel Core2 Quad processor. I'm using Windows Vista Home Premium, with Service Pack 2.

So, is there a way for me to direct my programs (whether they originate from my C: drive, from my UBCD4 CD, or from my USB stick) to work on my native computer's files, registry, etc.? Do I need to use a special command/switch/option and use "Run" or, perhaps, the Command Prompt?

Thanks for any suggestions that will put me on the right track.

Seep34

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BRANE-WAVE

BRANE-WAVE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2012 - 05:10 PM

Hi,

I've been struggling with what was a big problem, that has now become a huge problem.

For the past few weeks, I've been tinkering with Windows Update Error Code 80070005, using solutions that I've found on various web sites; all of which did not work. As of May 22nd, Belarc Advisor reported that the computer was missing 47 Microsoft Security Updates. Any attempt to access Microsoft Update, however, resulted in an 8007005 error. This issue has been ongoing for several months.

I decided to tackle it in earnest a week ago, after I tried to cut a Kaspersky Rescue Disk. I was shocked: the CD ran for a while and then aborted with a 80070005 error code! What in the world does a Windows Update code have to do with creating a Rescue Disk, I wondered. (Well, the best is yet to come.)

This is serious stuff. So, I decided to throw everything at the problem. I tried one solution after the next. Nothing helped. Finally, after making some suggested changes, I ran a program called UVK, with many of the "fix" boxes checked off. After it ran, I rebooted and rebooted; going from System Repair to ChkDsk and back. When I saw that I was going nowhere fast, I reluctantly tried doing a System Restore. Now here's the good part: after chugging for a bit, System Restore coughed up the infamous 80070005 error! I tried several restore points and got the same result. (I had been counting on being able to use those restore points in a situation like this. :dance: )

Left with a non-booting computer, I burned a UBCD4Windows CD (on my laptop) and used that to boot up the computer. However, even though I can see what's on the hard disk, etc. (using xplorer2, for example), the Windows XP environment--set up by the UBCD4Windows CD--intercepts all of the utilites on the hard disk and doesn't allow them to run. What's worse is that the utilities that are bundled with the UBCD disk also don't work on my computer--they only examine the XP environment. CCleaner (even though I launched it from the hard disk), for example, defaults to an outdated, truncated version of CCleaner (located on the UBCD disk). And, when CCleaner checks the registry, it only checks the UBCD environment registry--which is of absolutely no help. Hoping to make an end-run around the problem, I loaded a batch of utilities onto a USB stick and ran a few, but I got the same result.

I need the expertise of the folks in this forum to help extricate me from this mess, one step at a time.

1) I need suggestions as to how to bypass the UBCD Windows XP environment (See separate posting made earlier today).

2) I need guidance as to which utility programs I should use to diagnose the problems that are preventing a normal boot--and how they should be used.

3) I need to be able to resolve the Windows Update issue.

4) I need to be able to restore SuperFetch (which seems to have been clobbered shortly after the Windows Update issue appeared)--because without it, everything runs very, very slowly. (See my separate posting earlier today.)

I've tried to separate out the issues and post them individually, as was suggested, however, it's clear that they are daisy-chained to, and stem from, the 80070005 Windows Update error problem.

My computer environment: HP Pavilion desktop, Intel Core2 Quad Processor, Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2, over 600GB disk space, 3MB RAM.

I hope someone has the expertise and the gumption to take these problems on.

Thanks.

BRANE-WAVE

Edited by hamluis, 06 June 2012 - 09:08 PM.
Edited font, size, merged topics - Hamluis

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 09 June 2012 - 03:18 AM

For the software experts to help you in as much as they could, please post the exact details, error messages and issues prior to the problem only.

Tekken

#4 BRANE-WAVE

BRANE-WAVE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:13 PM

Thank you for responding, jhayz.

The main problem with the computer, prior to it's not booting, was that Microsoft Update was not updating (Update had been set on automatic). I would often see an icon at the bottom right of my screen, informing me that updates were ready to download. Every time (for the past few months), whenever I went to Microsoft Update and hit Check for Updates, I received a 80070005 error. That's been the main problem. The last Belarc Advisor report I ran indicated that the computer was sans 47 critical/important updates.

(Along the way, wondering why the computer was taking so long to process every instruction, I found out that SuperFetch--although listed among the Services and listed as starting automatically--failed to start and would not start when I prompted it to turn the service on. I don't know the connection between this problem and the update issue...)

Eventually, Microsoft Update began to insist that there was no update history for the computer.

I started looking at Microsoft help sites and tech websites for a solution and found lots of frustration, a bunch of solutions--none of which worked universally--some of which I tried to implement. Before getting serious, although I had been setting system restore points, just for extra insurance, I tried to create a Kaspersky Rescue Disk (I have Kaspersky Internet Security on the computer). After chugging for a bit, the program terminated with a 80070005 error.

I tried several solutions that I had found, including Microsoft Fix-It program, re-registering windows update dll's, running various virus scanners, such as Malwarebytes, etc. The last tool that I tried to use, before the computer wouldn't boot, was UVK-Ultra Virus Killer. I checked off a whole bunch of things for it to do automatically. Bam! That was it.

Today, using File Backup Wizard, in HP's Recovery Manager, I was able to backup my programs, data, pictures, etc. from the C: Drive to the E: Drive. I have two separate hard disks. The D: Drive has the system factory recovery image. If I use the System Recovery option, then it will restore my C: Drive to the time I bought the computer (Oct. 2007). I'm trying to avoid that. I expect that the amount of updating that I'll need to do will be onerous. (BTW, my attempts to return to a more recent restore point produced the same 80070005 error--which was not displayed when I created the restore points.) I'm trying to find a way to get the computer back to a usable state and fix the update problem

I hope this provides you with a better sense of the state of the computer prior to it's becoming disabled.

BRANE-WAVE

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2012 - 04:09 PM

Hi,
A quick note that You may have done irreparable damage to windows, Still researching that.

UVK is not only using illegal tools (copyrighted), it also allows you to do a load of damage without any form of backup. Use of it is not endorsed by Bleeping Computer. Bleeping Computer does not support this tool as it is very powerful, has no fail-safe mechanisms and uses copy-right protected components.

It appears that there may be no choice but to do the system recovery. At least you have backed up your important files.

Edited by rotor123, 17 June 2012 - 07:59 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:58 AM

to avoid confusion with another topic I am closing this topic, please continue the discussion here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic456095.html
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 17 June 2012 - 08:30 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users