Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removed Alfa Cleaner But Still Have Problems

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 TMC50

TMC50

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 01 March 2006 - 07:14 AM

I removed the Alfa Cleaner using HighJackThis, RemSmith, ran stinger, ran virus scann, ran no adware, ran spybot and deleted all files as posted. But still have two problems caused by Alfa Cleaner. 1) My log off use to allow me to switch between users. Now, I can only Log off. 2) When you do restart or Log off , a program called photo gallery attempts to load. These are two problems which were caused by Alfa Cleaner. I figured this is how Alfa Cleaner reloaded. Alfa Cleaner does not reload, but I want to get rid of these two problems caused by Alfa Cleaner. Any suggestions?

Edited by TMC50, 01 March 2006 - 07:18 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 01 March 2006 - 03:26 PM

Hi TMC

Try going to Start...Run...and type in "sfc.exe /scannow" (without the quotes) and press Enter. It may ask for your XP Installation CD. Once it's done, please visit Windows Update to ensure that you've got the latest hotfixes and updates (sfc.exe replaces system files when it runs).

David

Edited by D-Trojanator, 01 March 2006 - 03:27 PM.

#3 TMC50

TMC50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2006 - 09:18 PM

Thank you for the reply. I tried it and still I have the same two problems

#4 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2006 - 02:13 AM

You could try to do a system restore to a point before you removed AlfaCleaner, then try and remove the progam again and see if the problems still persist.
David

Edited by D-Trojanator, 02 March 2006 - 02:14 AM.

#5 TMC50

TMC50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2006 - 08:17 AM

I did perform a system restore several days ago, but it did not correct the problem. Last night after I tried your suggestion, I then used HighJackthis again, did a deep scan in safe mode, and individually went through my files. I then last night tried to do a system restore, but it would not allow me to go back past Feb. 28, 2006. Some where in my computer I must be missing something. But just can't locate it. I did notice one thing, which I'm not sure if it matters, when I restarted my computer, and a few minutes before this photo gallery was attempting to load, I moved my Fire wall to the highest (PC SHIELD) setting, and the program instantly stopped loading and went away. Now nothing has changed back my ability on the log out page to just switch between users. I do appreciate any suggestions.
thanks again
tom

#6 TMC50

TMC50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2006 - 08:21 PM

By running windows defender, I was able to stop the automatic loading of the photo gallery program. The only problem I have left is my log off. I would like to get back to where I can just switch between users instead of logging off. System restore did not do the trick. Is there a way to get into the setting to correct this? :thumbsup:

#7 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2006 - 04:05 AM

Ok, before we continue i have a question. You say you ran HijackThis in a deep scan in safe mode - Do you understand the damage that you cxan do with HijackThis if not used properly. You may a HijackThis expert for all i know, but can you confirm what you did with HijackThis, did you fix all the found files? Most of the files in your log will be legitimate and should not be fixed. Did you just scan and then exit?

David

#8 TMC50

TMC50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2006 - 05:10 AM

Yes I do understand the damage. I only remove the lines that I had printed out in instructions I received on using HighJackThis. The problem with the log off is orginial problem. I will tell you this, I was very nervous in using highjackthis in safe mode. When I was using it, I kept thinking about myself that someone with a little knowledge can be dangerous. I have no present intention of venturing back to safe mode. My next step is, one of the computer techs. at work is willing to take my computer tonight and check it. This way I don't keep guessing and venturing where no novice belongs. I do appreciate your assistance. Thanks Tom

#9 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2006 - 11:33 AM

Hi TMC40, it's good to hear you recognise the dangers present with HJT. I was delving around in the control and found this method:

Click on Start.
Click on the Control Panel
Go to User Accounts
Click on 'Change the way Users log on or off'.
Place a tick next to both options that appear.
Click on Apply Options.

Then try and switch user using the start > Log off > Switch User method. If that doesn't work, try opening the taskmanager using Cntrl + alt + delete and click on Shutdown and click on 'Switch User' and see if that works. Also try holding the windows key on your keyboard and then hitting L.

Let me know if that works.
David

#10 TMC50

TMC50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2006 - 09:24 PM

It worked. Computer is working great. I even had tech. check out and he said I cleaned up everything. Thank you for your help. :thumbsup:

#11 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2006 - 03:12 AM

Alright! Glad everything got sorted!
David :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users