Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AMD Turbo Boost clocked 1.4Ghz to 4.5ghz?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 HACKINGSHKILLZ

HACKINGSHKILLZ

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:01 PM

I am new to this forum and new-ish to computers. Anyways, I was thinking about overclocking my Toshiba satellite laptop with a quad core 1.4Ghz AMD a6 processor, but then realized that I had turboboost(and that overclocking a laptop was impractical). Turboboost was apparently supposed to boost my 1.4Ghz to 2.4(under load).
I installed CoreTemp and ORTHOS to check on my specs. On no load, all of my cores ran at aroung 1.6Ghz. How can this be? Under some load from ORTHOS, a couple ran at 2.7GHz and usually 1 or 2 ran at 4.5Ghz(the ones orthos put all the load on). So has turboboost made my 1.4Ghz cpu able to reach 4.5? I am really confused all help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 06 June 2012 - 10:54 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:41 PM

first off, you will never get that 1.4 ghz CPU to 4.5 on a laptop-turbo boost or not, you will fry it. Secondly, its working right. Secondly, I would say its working right. what AMDs turbo core (turbo boost is intel, though they both work along the same lines) is attempt to improve performance by increasing the frequency of certain cores during certain applications. It does not raise the frequency of all 4 cores, in most cases it only raises the frequency of 2 cores, and only to the speed necessary to accomplish a task. So if you start an application, that turbo core thinks a higher frequency would benefit you more then four cores, then it will boost 2 of the cores up to the necessary frequency. The other cores will still be working, but at the stock frequency. If all 4 cores were initiated it would likely lead to a overheat, and if you want to overclock you should disable this feature before attempting any overclocking, not that you should overclock on a laptop.

Further reading here

Edited by the_patriot11, 06 June 2012 - 10:44 PM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users