Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost comcast equipment

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 outmeal

outmeal

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:50 PM

What happens if I dont return comcast equipment.

If I don't return it , am I risking my credit history? will this show up on my credit ?

Please advice, I moved out of state, and the equipment (modem and router) might be in my old truck, I will return it if i find it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Suspended

Suspended

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:53 PM

I had a similar thing, where I never returned some equipment (and I don't know where it is) I remember getting a call once from someone looking for it, but never heard from them again. Unfortunately at the same time as that happened there was so much other bad stuff going on with my credit that if they did report me I didn't notice. I will be checking my credit report over the next couple days and see if there was anything on it though.

Granted I am talking about over 5 years ago, and things change all the time, so we will see...

-Suspended

#3 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:58 PM

Utilites (which Cable providers fall under) do not usually go against ones credit score. They will most likely charge you a fine for not returning equipment (don't know I've never rented boxes until DirectTV made me upgrade a few years ago). Cell Phones are the exception that proves the rule as they do, in fact, go against ones credit score (and they will hound you until you pay them to leave you alone and you no longer care about the "principle of the matter").

Posted Image

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:20 AM

If you don't return the equipment Comcast will evetually turn the matter over to a collection agency. The agency will attempt to collect the money for the unreturned equipment.

It will go against your credit score if not paid in a timely manner or not paid at all. If not paid for any time someone runs your credit history it will show up.

The amount depends on what the equipment is. DVR and HD boxes are more expensive than Comcast modems, routers and DTA boxes.

According to the Comcast Agreement for Residential Services GENERAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS #9, paragraph D:

You will immediately cease all use of the Service(s) and all Xfinity Equipment;
You will pay in full for your use of the Service(s) up to the date that this Agreement has been terminated and the Service(s) are disconnected; and
Within ten (10) days of the date on which Service(s) are disconnected, you will return all Xfinity Equipment to us at our local business office or to our designee in working order, normal wear and tear excepted. Otherwise, you will be charged the amount set forth in the current pricing lists for such Xfinity Equipment, or the revised amount for which you receive notice; if no amount has been specified for the particular model of Xfinity Equipment, you will be charged the retail price for a new replacement. You may also be charged incidental costs that we incur in replacing the Xfinity Equipment.

When you established Comcast service you agreed to abide by the terms of the agreement. It doesn't matter if you read it or not.

If/when you do return the equipment: (my canned speech which I often post in the Comcast Help Forum)

When your equipment is picked up or turned in, GET A RETURNED EQUIPMENT RECEIPT. Make sure it documents that what you returned is a modem or tv boxes. If there are any stickers with serial or MAC numbers, make sure those numbers are on the receipt. Keep the receipt in a safe place, don't forget where you put it. Keep it until the middle of the next century. In the past, Comcast has billed customers for equipment that had been returned. Sometimes they lose track of the equipment and the receipt will be your proof that you turned it in to Comcast.

If you ship the equipment to Comcast, record tracking numbers. Keep those numbers in a safe place. You will need them later if Comcast bills you for the equipment. Make sure you record any numbers on the equipment. I take a photo of the stickers on it and attach it to the receipt. If you do this make sure the number are clearly visible in the photo.

You can also check the status of shipped items on the delivery company webpage. When you see it was delivered, print screen the delivery status. UPS also offers Track By Email. Use that option. You'll be notified when it is delivered. Save the email-again this will be proof it was received by Comcast.

Print out the delivery confirmation (if your computer crashes and you lose the info the print out will be your proof of return) This should also be kept in a safe place where you can get to it if needed.

I know from experience that having the receipts can save you a lot of headaches. I was able to pull out my receipts when a collection agency notified me I owed for Comcast equipment that had been returned.

More on the credit score: Some people have complained that although they returned their equipment Comcast claims they did not. When turned over to a collection agency and they refuse to pay they found out their credit score WAS affected.

When I was contacted by a collection agency about Comcast equipment I had to follow up with Comcast and the agency to make sure the agency had removed the charge from their files.

You really should find it ASAP and get it returned. It would be best if you could return to the local office that served the area where you previously lived because equipment is area specific. If this is not an option you can call Comcast and request that shipping boxes with pre-paid shipping labels be sent to you. If you are lucky you will get it quickly. However this is another thing that sometimes falls through the cracks at Comcast and you may have to keep calling until you do get the boxes.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 06 June 2012 - 08:42 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users