Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing Font In Some Windows

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tackyjan

tackyjan

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:45 PM

Hello All!!

I have a Samsung NP-QX411 Laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. About two days ago or so some of my dialogs started missing text. (See attached images.)

It's not just Windows related dialogs that are missing text. Some of my programs, such as Team Viewer and Advanced System Care, are also missing text while others such as Malwarebytes are not. Also, some Windows dialogs such as Task Manager and System restore are missing text but others such as Device manager are not.

I have tried updating all my display drivers directly from the Samsung website but nothing seems to be working. I want to try a system restore but, as you can see in my posted image, I cannot even run System Restore because there is no text for me to see what I am doing. :(

I am normally really good at fixing computers but I am at a loss for what to do next. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Task Manager
Posted Image

System Restore
Posted Image

NVidia Control Panel
Posted Image

Team Viewer
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tackyjan

tackyjan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:49 PM

One other thing, note that my Device Manager doesn't show any problems with either the display drivers or the monitor drivers. Also, for each one I performed an update to make sure I have the latest.

Device Manager
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,560 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:07 AM

Well...I would uninstall the current video drivers...then reinstall same.

Updating a damaged file...may not be accomplished necessarily.

Device Manager cannot be relied upon to reflect damaged drivers...it's primarily concerned with detection of components and installation of drivers. Once installed, Device Manager thinks all is golden and cannot detect damaged driver files.

If uninstalling, then reinstalling provides no relief...I'd have to suspect hardware. Since some diaogs display properly and some don't...I don't think it would be a Windows problem causing your concern.

Louis

#4 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:41 PM

Go to

C:\windows\system32

search for a file called FNTCACHE.DAT

Delete it

Restart the PC

good luck

#5 tackyjan

tackyjan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:51 PM

Hi all!! First off let me thank those of you who responded. :)

Luckily for me I fixed the problem! I did an sfc /scannow and Windows 7 reported there were errors. A reboot afterwards was all it took.

Thanks again!

Edited by tackyjan, 06 June 2012 - 09:51 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,560 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:56 AM

Thanks for letting us know...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users