Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

intermittent internet "dropouts"

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mankardo

Mankardo

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:00 PM

The problem:
Internet will randomly "pause" (I will temporarily lose communication with the internet for 5-10 seconds at a time.) This is enough time to drop an online video conference call or a large download both of which can and have been very troublesome. I moved my cable modem to a spot I could see the lights when this problem occurs. I was able to determine that the 3rd light changes from solid to flashing during the "pause" and the other 4 lights go solid. (this includes the "internet" light that normally blinks.) When the pause ends, the middle light instantly becomes solid again and the internet light returns to flashing. The middle light in my case is the US or upstream light on my Linksys CM100 cable modem. I called Mediacom after seeing these issues occur quite often over the last month. They sent a tech out who replaced the ends of my lines, replaced an ancient splitter, and tested signals from every end possible.

Troubleshooting: I do run through a router but it is clear the problem lies with the connection to the modem. Regardless, I have tried the following.
1. Hard reset/power cycle all of my hardware. (modem, computer, router)
2. I have tried direct connect from my modem to my computer.
3. I have tried using multiple computers to see if the problem resided with my own.
4. I have brought my modem over to a friend's house to see if the modem was malfunctioning. He had my modem for 3 days and it was under constant use without a single intermittent problem. My problem occurs daily and I felt 3 days a sufficient amount testing time. For the record his ISP is Comcast.

I am posting here to diagnose the issue and find out if the problem resides with my cable modem or Mediacom's services. I want to know exactly why the the light patterns on the cable modem change the way they do so that I can interpret what is actually happening. Whenever my internet has a real drop the modem just cycles back from the beginning and this is a very different issue. Thanks for the help guys

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:02 PM

I would have the cable company come out an inspect the cable lines. Sounds to me like there is a signal to noise issue, and this is causing the drop outs to occur. If the modem works at another persons place, then I would rule that out. I would also try the modem on another cable hookup within your house if possible.

#3 Mankardo

Mankardo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:32 PM

I have had Mediacom techs out twice within the month. The first one did the cable end replacement and splitter replacement. The second one added a 3 way splitter between my wall and modem to drop my downstream power from 9dBmV to 3dBmV but other than that my signal levels are within proper range. I ended up losing connection completely (my modem would cycle over and over trying to re-establish connection) the first day I used my internet after the second tech came. I spent 2 hours on the phone with Mediacom tech support who knew nothing more than to read onscreen prompts and refer me another service call appointment which I assured them I didnt need. I decided to remove the splitter that the tech had added and voila, the modem connected right away. I have tried all 3 cable connection points at my residence, one of which does not work at all and the other suffers the same issue.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:47 PM

then its an issue outside the house on the line.

#5 Mankardo

Mankardo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:51 PM

That is what I assumed. But I am incapable of proving to Mediacom that the problem is on their end or where to direct them to fix it.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:55 PM

Say to them that you are having issues with your cable tv service if you have them and say that some of your hd doesnt come through.

#7 Mankardo

Mankardo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:03 PM

I am only provided cable internet service unfortunately. I just need to know from a technical point of view what to say to make them dig a little deeper and suspect a problem on their end rather than mine. My hardware is working properly. My coax and ethernet cables are up to date and are functioning normally. Yet they insist on sending techs out to look at the things that aren't causing the problem.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:09 PM

tell them that you have taken your modem over to another house with a different ISP and it does not cut out, and that if they do not fix the issue threaten to leave them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users